How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2016, 10:11 PM

Default multitrack recording

Hi folks,

I am trying to track with my yamaha mg12xu in pro tools and I want to hear pro tools via my computer's auxiliary jack. Recording works when the playback engine is set to Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO but you can't hear the playback. When the playback engine is set to ASIO4all v2 I can hear a track I recorded but I can no longer get signal on the tracks in pro tools. Does anyone think they know why this could be?
Old 05-12-2016, 10:30 PM

Default Re: multitrack recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAnd View Post
Hi folks,

I am trying to track with my yamaha mg12xu in pro tools and I want to hear pro tools via my computer's auxiliary jack. Recording works when the playback engine is set to Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO but you can't hear the playback. When the playback engine is set to ASIO4all v2 I can hear a track I recorded but I can no longer get signal on the tracks in pro tools. Does anyone think they know why this could be?
When you have the mixer selected as the playback engine your playback should be going out the 2 channel audio interface output into you mixer. You have to work out how to use the mixer to get that USB output signal onto the mixer's main output bus or whatever output you want to hear it on. I bet that will be described in the user documentation. (ooh its the USB select button on Track 11/12 I can see it in photos of the mixer, no need to even RTFM...).

Another common problem can be IO setup. Select the mixer as the playback ending. Go to Setup>IO>Output and Bus pages you should see two outputs. If not you can try the DEFAULT button on each page. Your track and stereo master fader output should be set to the names of those two outputs and when you press play you should see the meters on the master fader track show something is being played back.

If that is your interface you cannot get audio out on your PC, or if you select the PC sound card you can't use the mixer input. It's one or the other. Your mixer has a 1/4" headphone output, use that if you need to use headphones.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-12-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:00 AM

Default Re: multitrack recording

Indeed, on a PC, whatever is selected as the "audio engine" must handle both the input AND the output. And on a Windows setup, you should also set Windows Sound Properties to NOT use your Pro Tools interface as its default playback device(in your case, the Yamaha)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave