Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Building A Dual Core System

I have found some info on here, but not enough to make a decision. I want to build a Dual COre Intel or AMD system for an HD2 system (maybe expanding to HD3). It currently looks like the Intel 955 chipsets are probably the safest way to go. Also wouldn't mind recommendations for reasonably priced AMD motherboards that will support the X2 processors and work with HD. I am currently thinking about the ASUS P5WD2 motherboard.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 11-21-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Building A Dual Core System

I'm in the same situation. I'm spec'in out a system that will be used for HD1 and LE. I have it narrowed down to a dual Xeon or dual Opteron dual core system.

I dont know about HD but I do know that the X2 has been amazing for a few LE users so far.

Here is a dual Opteron dual core system that is doing well. A quad core system.

More info.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-21-2005, 02:09 PM

I have an HD2 system that may get expanded to HD3, and it seems like by one web page that Digidesign supports 955 based Intel Dual Core systems, I am less familiar with the AMD stuff, and because of PCI-E/PCI issues, I worry a little about what motherboard to get. I know that the AMD X2 stuff outperforms the Intel Dual Core, but compatibility is my biggest concern. On the LE and M-Powered compat pages they list a lot more stuff that is compatible, but I worry more about it with an HD system. I would consider a dual proc setup, and I know people have had good luck with those, but given the performance I am seeing people with dual core getting, I am not sure a dual proc setup is worth the price difference for me.

Tom
Old 11-21-2005, 03:14 PM

I'd stick with compatibility. You can monitor this post and hope an X2 user with HD shows up and says it works or perhaps just get a system yourself but go to a place with a good return/exchange policy just incase and then report back to us.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-21-2005, 04:12 PM

Hi,

I'm running an ASUS A8V motherboard with a single core AMD64 3200+. With a HD3 system it is running wonderfully, and that motherboard takes dual core CPU as well such as the X2 I believe. Once I put my 3rd Accel card into the system (hd4), I get some unstable behaviour which I am currently trying to deal with. If not, my only opion will probably be a Chasis Case which can take 7 cards and plugs into 1 of my PCI or PCIe slots. As the motherboards are shrinking their number of PCI slots down to 3, we may end up all going to Chasis if we want a bigger card count.

Hope that helps,

Best,

Big D
3 x WD500gig SATA, 1 x WD1T32mb SATA cache Green
NVIDIA Geforce 7300le,
Command 8,HD2,192,Massive Pack 4
Windows 7 64 bit PTHD 9
Old 11-21-2005, 06:41 PM

Yes, the whole open PCI slot thing is a problem, too bad you are having problems with the 3rd card.

I have run into a problem with the motherboard I am considering, the ASUS P5WD2 Premium. It has two PCI slots, then a PCI-E slot, and then another PCI slot. This might make an upgrade to HD3 impossible. I don't know if they make longer cables (or if it would be possible) to run between the cards. This motherboard uses the 955 chipset, they make a 945 chipset and one of those motherboards has 3 PCI slots in a row, but on one of the HD compatibility pages the have a reference to "Intel 955 Dual Core" with no mention of the 945. The 945 is qualified for LE and M-Powered, but I guess at this point I feel safer sticking with the 955. The 955 chipset is not sposed to have the same PCI problems that the 915 chipset (what I currently have) had with PCI Express being introduced.

Since I am a hobbyist, I don't feel a big need to go to HD3, but would prefer to have the option. I did price the following computer though, and I am kind of leaning this way currently given the positive things I have read about the 955 chipset and the lack of problems with PCI/PCI Express

ASUS P5WD2 Premium Motherboard
Intel 830D Dual Core 3.0 Ghz
2 GIG 533 Mhz DDR2 RAM (1 GIG modules, leaving open 2 slots so I can add another 2 GIG)
SATA 7200 RPM 200 GIG Drive for the system
SATA 7200 RPM 120 GIG Drive for Pro Tools projects (I'll pull this out of my current computer)
Antec Case (this one is real quiet)
Antec 550 Watt Power Supply
2 DVD Burners (they're cheap these days)
ATI X700 Pro PCI-E video card with 256MB (I have this laying around from my current setup, didn't play well with Pro Tools on the 915 chipset)
XP Pro

The total price on this with tax and being built at a local place is about $1400. If anyone has a comparable AMD X2 solution in the same price range (already have one SATA drive, the PCI-E graphics card and XP Pro), would love to hear about, especially if I could guarantee being able to move up to HD3.

I'll have to look into your setup Big D. I suspect that motherboard may support Dual Core, so it might be interesting. The things I have read about AMD and PCI/PCI-E, is that it is still kind of a crapshoot, but happy to hear otherwise.

Tom
Old 11-21-2005, 08:23 PM

For compatibility, I prefer the Intel chipset. But as the number of PCI slots decreases, it may be best to get a PCI-PCI chassis.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:17 AM

Hi All,
Update on 3rd accel card.....

I reserved 5 PCI slots in the bios and reduced the number of Available USB ports from 8 down to 4 and the system is stable. Worked all day today with no problems...Have a session tomorrow again so will let you know. The only active device besides my Video is the Network as I use this as an intercom for the main Building on the property. I also have a terrabyte of Hard drives hanging off the system in the form of 2x200 Gig IDE + 3 SATA drives 2x250gig and 1x200gig. I have a Antec Truepower 580 PSU and a Command 8. 2 ilok keys. Dvd Burner drive and even an old Floppy!! All in an ANTEC Rackmount case.

I will let you all know how it goes but I seem to be running an HD4 on my system with out stress.

Once the VST to RTAS wrapper is updated from FXPansion I will be a happy chappy. And my BFD is running solid!!!!I also boughT Stylus RMX and it is solid too.

all the best,

Big D
NVIDIA Geforce 7300le,
Windows 7 64 bit PTHD 9
Old 11-23-2005, 05:20 AM

Hi Tomgr,

yes this board does support Dual Core so I am waiting till I get it all stable and then see how the Dual core CPU flies!!! Fingers Crossed.

Big D
NVIDIA Geforce 7300le,
Windows 7 64 bit PTHD 9
Old 11-23-2005, 07:16 AM

howdy,
i just spun up a Athlon x2 4400 on an MSI PCI-e motherboard.
i'm running two raptor satas and so far no problems ... the graphics
seem fine (haven't experienced any PCI-e related problems on an Nvidia
chipset).
i guess my only caution is case dimension and how the cards go in.
i messed up and didn't account for how freakingly amazingly long the
digi cards are ;-) had to get another case....
jeff