Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2004, 11:38 AM

Default Save Session Copy In removes files from session!!!

I just updated to 6.7 and found what I believe to be a MAJOR bug. Archived some sessions as I always do by using "Save Session Copy In" to a backup folder on the same drive. I usually don't even check these as I have never experienced a problem with this particular Pro Tools function. Well, I had to open one of these copies later in the day and when it opened, all the files were gone from the session! It was empty except for the video track. No files on any of the audio tracks, none in the audio bin. All the tracks were there and all the copied audio files were in the audio file folder, but the session was EMPTY.

I am stunned. So stunned that I'm thinking I must be doing something wrong. I tried several obvious things like deleting my prefs and restarting. Also installed the latest 6.7 update (cs1). Nothing helped. I can't for the life of me figure out what it might be if it's not a bug. "Save Session Copy In" is pretty strait forward and I can't imagine why saving a copy of a session would ever involve an option that removes everything from the session!

Digi - Please help me this one....
Old 11-11-2004, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Save Session Copy In removes files from session!!!

did you select: Copy Files
at the bottom section of the Save In window

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-11-2004, 11:57 AM

Quote:
did you select: Copy Files
at the bottom section of the Save In window
No offense, but of course I did. This is something I do many times a week on a regular basis for the last 5 years. Even if I didn't choose to copy "All Audio Files" at the bottom section, all my edit files on my tracks should still get copied, I just wouldn't have newly copied audio files in an audio file folder in the copied session folder.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:03 PM

None taken but I deal with operator error on a daly bases, and if someone dose not explicitly say they did a task I assume that they did not do it. And if if they say they did dose not mean they actually did it.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-11-2004, 12:04 PM

Okay, found the specific bug! I always choose to not copy fades when I backup sessions - waste of space, always better to let Pro Tools recreate fades anyway - right?.
Well, session copy is fine when I don't choose this option of not copying fades. If I "Save Session Copy In" and choose to copy all audio, but not the fades - session copy is empty.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:11 PM

For clarification... are the tracks all empty, or do they have regions which aren't linked to audio files (displaying blocks)? In the Region List, if you enable the Display menu option to Display Auto-Created Regions, do you have any regions listed at all?

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-11-2004, 12:13 PM

Quote:
For clarification... are the tracks all empty, or do they have regions which aren't linked to audio files (displaying blocks)? In the Region List, if you enable the Display menu option to Display Auto-Created Regions, do you have any regions listed at all?

Rail
They are empty - no regions whatsoever.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:18 PM
Avid

Hi,

Do you have the original and does it open properly? When you open the copy does it ask about relinking or post any messages about the disk allocation having changed? If you look in the Task window are there any tasks running. When you respond please include more information about your system and if this has happened on more than on occasion.
Thanks,
Digidesign Tech Support
Old 11-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Avid

Hi,

Is this true for all sessions or just this particular session,

"If I "Save Session Copy In" and choose to copy all audio, but not the fades - session copy is empty."

Please let us know,
Digidesign Tech Support
Old 11-11-2004, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Do you have the original and does it open properly? When you open the copy does it ask about relinking or post any messages about the disk allocation having changed? If you look in the Task window are there any tasks running. When you respond please include more information about your system and if this has happened on more than on occasion.
Thanks,
Digidesign Tech Support
Digi,

G4 Dual 1.25 w/2Gigs of RAM
HD 2
PT 6.7cs1
Control 24

I no longer have the original sessions - I usually delete after the copy if finished. The original sessions opened fine before and after copying.

I always get a disk allocation change message when opening a copy for the first time and always choose to not view the disk allocation changes as I know what they are already.

There is no message regarding any missing audio or relinking. No tasks running either - I get an empy session with green "Timeline" and "Session" lights.

Hope this helps!

And thanks for the quick response!