How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2022, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2021.12 Software Instruments No Audio

Thanks for helping.

I've double checked the midi instrument assignment - it's all correct.

What I do see is that the software plugin (keyscape) is instantiated on insert slot 2 for example. If I move it to slot 1 by dragging all of sudden audio comes back again - This is clearly a severe pro tools bug - the assignment is correct otherwise moving the plugin by dragging to a different slot would not have cured the problem.

Right now I am trying to understand:

a. How can I still work with this kind of situation happening uppon session loads.

b. If other people have also encountered this, and perhaps what was their remedy to the problem.

Any additional ideas?

David
Old 04-19-2022, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbendayan View Post
What I do see is that the software plugin (keyscape) is instantiated on insert slot 2 for example. If I move it to slot 1 by dragging all of sudden audio comes back again
An instrument (VST, VI etc.) should always be the first plugin in an instrument chain. In PT, this would equate to slot A.

Perhaps this isn't a bug but a "feature" ???

I don't use VI in Pro Tools but if you're putting the VI in the second slot, maybe this explains the issue?
Old 04-19-2022, 10:03 PM

Quote:
This happens to me in Spectrasonics products - Omnisphere and Keyscape, but my assumption is that this is not related to any specific brand.
Hi, Is it only happening with these plugins? Have you tried others??

What happens if you deactivate the plugin before saving and closing the session, then reactivate it after reopening it? May be a workaround.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 04-20-2022, 02:12 PM

I am so glad you created this post. I have constantly had this problem since 2021.10 and it continues to exists in 2021.12. This did not exist in prior versions for me. It especially happens with me with Komplete Kontrol and when I am using Alicia Keys inside Komplete Kontrol. I also run a lot of Omnisphere in my sessions, but I haven't seen it happen with Omnisphere yet for me.

Most of the time it is working just fine, then suddenly the instrument will stop playing. For me, if I hit play a bunch of times in different parts of the track, it will often play a few notes before it stops playing, or it will start playing back again normally.

The infuriating thing for me is that sometimes everything is playing fine. I'll bounce my mix and an instrument might be missing in the mix. When I go to play the session, the instrument will no longer be playing until I "wake it up" by changing inserts or playing a bunch of times in different places of the song.

Since this is such a hard bug to get consistent results with, I fear it is going to be one of those bugs that lingers for years (like the random changing instrument output on start up bug).
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 04-20-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreen100 View Post
I had this problem before and what albee1952 says is the solution. Check the Instruments assignment!
I've seen this problem tons throughout the years. The issue I am experiencing which is similar to the OP is not this bug.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Old 04-20-2022, 02:41 PM

Just to chime in, I've had this same issue too. Mostly recently last weekend. Using 2021.12 on a Mac mini m1. That session was through an antelope interface (don't remember which one, wasn't my studio), using up to date Arturia plugins and little else.

Sometimes I hit play and the instrument tracks play, sometimes they don't.

The Mac was a clean (erase/reinstall) Monterey installation, but I've randomly come across the same issue previously as well (on Big Sur, maybe earlier but it's so intermittent it's tough to troubleshoot).
Old 04-20-2022, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks for helping.

I've double checked the midi instrument assignment - it's all correct.
Even if it appears correct, change it then change it back as a test(troubleshooting can be a royal PITA)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-21-2022, 07:41 PM

I just wanted to mention that I trashed preferences and the issue continues to exist. For me, it happens most with Komplete Kontrol. I have checked updates and I am on the latest update.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Old 04-21-2022, 09:56 PM

I do not want to be negative on Avid, since it's the easier route to go. As a software engineer, I know it's very easy to complain, but the software is very complex with many teams working, with a lot of development versions etc. deadlines and politics.

However, with that being said, I cannot begin to understand how a company can release a DAW that cannot maintain consistent playback of sessions. This fathoms me.

I received an email yesterday noting that the monthly price of Pro Tools has been changed (gone up obviously). I am really trying hard not to cancel the subscription and go another route.

The only reason I want to still use Pro Tools basically is because of it's sound - people who think all DAW's sound the same cannot be more wrong. Every DAW sounds different - be it the audio engine itself, it's mixer, the plugin architecture and interactions - it's a fact.

Now because of the nature of this severe bug, and because I got to know Avid, I highly see it unlikely they will fix this soon. The more people complain about this and let Avid know, the better the chances on getting something that should be basic - a reliable consisten session load. BASIC STUFF.
Old 02-25-2023, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
Most of the time it is working just fine, then suddenly the instrument will stop playing. For me, if I hit play a bunch of times in different parts of the track, it will often play a few notes before it stops playing, or it will start playing back again normally.

The infuriating thing for me is that sometimes everything is playing fine. I'll bounce my mix and an instrument might be missing in the mix. When I go to play the session, the instrument will no longer be playing until I "wake it up" by changing inserts or playing a bunch of times in different places of the song.

Since this is such a hard bug to get consistent results with, I fear it is going to be one of those bugs that lingers for years (like the random changing instrument output on start up bug).
I have the exact same problem! Did you find any solution?
I had the problem on several macs, with several audio interfaces, ... It's very annoying and makes me lose a lot a time