Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2003, 11:53 AM

Default USB Midi help needed ...

Long time no post but that'll be down to the wealth of topics and quality of the answers here, of course [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
How does USB midi work? I'll be using Gigastudio on a spare PC ( never could get it right on the audio PC )and I have a Midiman USB keyboard which comes with its own drivers. I want to go into Giga via USB ( easy enough ). Question is, can I come out of a spare USB port on the spare PC straight into a USB port on the audio PC to record midi into PTLE? If I can, how does the port know how to transmit midi to the audio PC?
Old 06-16-2003, 01:16 PM

Default Re: USB Midi help needed ...

That makes perfect sense - except I forgot to mention that I don't have midi on my Giga soundcard ( Gina 20 bit ), which is why I was hoping I could use USB all the way.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:06 AM

i just bought the midiman radium. here's what you do:

plug in the usb and install the drivers on your PT machine. then connect the midi out of the keyboard (which is actually a usb midi out of the computer) to the midi in on the giga computer. then, in PT, create a midi track, set the input to midiman usb and the output to midiman usb midi out. then hit rec enable and you're off to the races...
Old 06-17-2003, 12:09 AM

Db, thanks a million. Presumably you still install the drivers on the Giga PC too?
Old 06-17-2003, 12:34 AM

no hay necessario... you're connected to midi on the giga machine via a cable. remember, you need to trigger off midi FROM your sequencer (PT) TO your sound module (giga). you just need the controller to ASSIST in your sequencing in PT.

PT -> usb midi out -> giga's soundcard midi in -> gigastudio

..-=> sample gets triggered <=-..

giga soundcard audio out -> digi001 -> PT aux track for monitoring (or audio track for recording).
Old 06-17-2003, 11:57 AM

... so could I go from PT to Giga via USB as well?
Old 06-17-2003, 02:38 PM

Thanks O.G. Killa, that explains a lot too ...
Old 06-17-2003, 06:42 PM

there is this thing by musiclab.com called midi over lan. you just need a network set up between the 2 computers. you install the software on both computers. the PT machine will send midi over the lan and the giga machine will receive it. i tried out the demo once and it worked great. no latency at all...
Old 06-18-2003, 12:51 AM

nope...not that I know of anyway. Every USB device has a smart chip in it that identfies itself to the USB host controller. If you plug one computer into another it will try to network the two together recognizing each other as Host Controllers. But it won't recognize one as a midi device since it doesn't broadcast it's ID as a midi controller. That's why when you plug in a USB sound card, the computer knows it's a sound card and not a Mouse, and when you plug in a USB mouse it knows it's a Mouse and not a Keyboard.

you'll need to get a small USB midi I/O for the giga system. Maybe check out Maudio to see what they have for inexpensive MIDI I/Os.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 06-19-2003, 12:03 AM

Thanks guys ... Like the sound of midioverlan especially.