Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2003, 01:59 AM

Default Korg Triton Studio/PT LE/Windows - midi HELP!

Okay here's my problem:

I cannot record midi track from my triton studio in PT. I tried everything the manual instructs and even contacted DigiDesign.

Here's my set up:
Pentium 4 2.4 processor
Windows XP
1 GB of SDRAM
Triton Studio (w/midi I/O into the midi I/O on the digi 001.

Here's my process for recording audio/midi tracks:
1.) Create a audio/aux track - This works fine!
2.) Create a midi track with Midi In channel set to ALL and midi out set to Channel 1 in PT.
3.) Check the midi thru option
4.) Korg triton setting - global - midi - local control either on or off (The midi track doesn't show or record in PT either way)
5.) Adjust the midi track volume level to make sure it's not set to 0 dB.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Any - and I mean ANY help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2003, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Korg Triton Studio/PT LE/Windows - midi HELP!

Ok well, you said ANY help is needed. This is how I record mr. triton into pro tools. I dont use it recording midi, i do it with audio. Because all im doing is sequencing. Anyway, I have the triton going into a mixing board, the Behringer Eurorack MX1604A. I then take two mic cables and go out of the mixer into the front of the 001. Then I hook a midi cable coming out of the MIDI THRU of the triton into the MIDI IN of the 001. Then I make sure that Digidesign Digi001 is checked in the Midi Beat Clock, which could be found under Midi. On the Triton you need to go to Global-->press menu-->Midi and check External MIDI. Also make sure MIDI THRU is checked under the midi tab in pro tools, and now your Triton and 001 are synced up, and your ready to record. You'll also want to set the temopo in pro tools to what it is on your triton so when you record your audio lines up with the grid. That is a good way to record with the triton if you don't feel like messing with midi all that much. But Ill give you some tips to try to help you with what you're doing. You might want to check and see if your midi is set to external on the Triton. Go to Global-->press menu-->Midi and check External MIDI, and see if that helps out at all. I know this might sound stupid but make sure you have your I/O right. Ive messed it up before myself. Make sure Midi Thru is checked and Low Latency Monitoring is Off. That's all about I can do, like I said I dont record very much with midi(only 1 time). I do it the way i have described above. I hope this helps. If you get too frustrated you can always resort to what I do. I will try to mess and do it your way and see if i can figure anything out though. Take Care. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2003, 08:50 AM

I believe you've got it just about right. Set the Triton to local off, and enable midi beat click under the midi menu in PTLE. That should do it.

Hope this helps. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2003, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the help but I'm able to record audio and PT and my triton are in sync. My problem is midi. PT is not receiving my midi notes from the triton. Whether my triton is in external or internal mode under global/midi, nothing seems to get PT to record my midi. The audio works fine and I'm able to sync PTs transport with my triton (I can record audio from my triton by triggering the record button on the transport in PT)

I just cant record any midi notes! AHHHHHHHH!
Old 04-18-2003, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the help but I'm able to record audio and PT and my triton are in sync. My problem is midi. PT is not receiving my midi notes from the triton. Whether my triton is in external or internal mode under global/midi, nothing seems to get PT to record my midi. The audio works fine and I'm able to sync PTs transport with my triton (I can record audio from my triton by triggering the record button on the transport in PT)

[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2003, 04:50 PM

PRS4LIFE

I just picked up a Triton. So, i am trying to figure out how to incorporate with PT. I have it set up for basic midi-connection now. Using PT as the Master. So you choose to use the Triton as the master then...

I'm trying to figure whether i should set up in Sequencer or Combination Mode for recording. I want to be able to utilize the combi sounds and then make combi program changes throughout a song with all the efxs.

Could you give me some advice on this?

thank you much,
--james
Old 04-20-2003, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Here's my process for recording audio/midi tracks:
1.) Create a audio/aux track - This works fine!
2.) Create a midi track with Midi In channel set to ALL and midi out set to Channel 1 in PT.
3.) Check the midi thru option
4.) Korg triton setting - global - midi - local control either on or off (The midi track doesn't show or record in PT either way)
5.) Adjust the midi track volume level to make sure it's not set to 0 dB.

Just try this instead:
1)Set the input midi track in Pro Tools to all.
2) Set the output channel in the track to Digidesign Channel 1
3) On the Midi Tab in Pro Tools make sure the THRU is checked.
4) On the Peripherals Settings in Pro Tools make sure then MMC is not checked. Leave it blank.
5) On the Preference tab in Pro Tools check the MIDI THRU option to channel 1
6) Go to your Korg Triton and select a midi channel and set it to 1. Your Korg communicate on channel 1 this way so Pro Tools can receive the info.
7) Select a sound in Korg to play.
8) In Pro Tools put the track in Rec Mode.
9) Make a new AUX track in Pro Tools and set the input to the same place where the audio cable from your keyboard are connected. Set the output to Stereo 1/2.

I think you should be able to hear and record the midi information.

Keep in mind that some keyboard when in SEQUENCER mode are able only to receive datas from Pro Tools and play the Pro Tools midi tracks in your synth sequencer. In sequencer mode I noticed my keyboard it is not able to send data back to Pro Tools.
Either you record track by track using the Triton as a midi controller on the same channel Pro Tools is receiving it or if you want to transfer a sequence in Pro Tools your best bet is to save your Korg Triton sequence as Midi File and then use the IMPORT MIDI FILE TO TRACK in Pro Tools file menu. Pro Tools will automatically open all the midi channel that you have recorded in your sequence. You have to set the output of the midi channels in Pro Tools to the korg sequence channels tracks. Doing so you're guaranteed that Pro Tools will play back your sequencer midi sounds.

That is the way I do it.
I hope this can help.

Ciao,
Antonio Tarantino
Old 04-21-2003, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 3inacipher:

[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Is the Triton set to "Sequencer" mode?
Old 04-21-2003, 04:44 AM

This works perfect! Thanks for all the help everyone. The above process works perfectly fine. From what I've learned so far, Korg products are very picky when it comes to midi (hey that rhymes [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) I can finally move on. Thanks!

uneek72