Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 01-29-2022, 09:19 AM

Default MBox 3 (not mini or Pro) Channels 3 and 4.

So I have an MBox 3 (not mini or pro). On the driver control panel, what are hardware inputs 3 and 4 used for on both the ditial and analog hardware inputs? The manual shows them, but a search for "channel 3" or channel 4" or "Input 3" / "Input 4" on the manuals PDF returns nothing but a small mention that tells me little and maybe is incorrect. I read the whole chapter on the driver; it does say "Hardware Inputs 1–2 are the analog inputs, and Hardware Inputs 3–4 are the S/PDIF input L/R.". However, I'm not sure this is true as the S/PDIF are also on 1 and 2 but on the different tab only for digital inputs.

So what are inputs 3 and 4 on the digital and analog sides and how to I activate and use them?
Old 01-29-2022, 10:29 AM

Default MBox 3 (not mini or Pro) Channels 3 and 4.

The Mbox 3 driver expanded the capabilities of the mbox line by decoupling the software output path from the actual hardware output.

The hardware analog inputs are 1 and 2. The hardware digital inputs are 3 and 4.

When you’re on the Analog 1/2 output tab, you have the inputs on the left and the software outputs on the right. The input side lets you directly route inputs to the output for low-latency monitoring. The software output side lets you mix and match software outputs 1-2 and 3-4 to the analog outputs as you see fit. The default software output for the analog output is 1-2.

The same goes for the S/PDIF L/R output tab except the default output path for the digital out is 3-4.

Check out the Flow view. This might help you understand.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-29-2022, 10:07 PM

Default Re: MBox 3 (not mini or Pro) Channels 3 and 4.

But I'm not sure the hardware digital inputs are 3 and 4 in the control panel. When I play digital sources though SPDIF input, they only come up on sliders 1 and 2 of the MBox control panel on the digital input tab.
Old 01-29-2022, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie_uk View Post
But I'm not sure the hardware digital inputs are 3 and 4 in the control panel. When I play digital sources though SPDIF input, they only come up on sliders 1 and 2 of the MBox control panel on the digital input tab.

Take a picture and post it here.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Old 01-29-2022, 11:01 PM

Currently, the monitor outputs are connected to a stereo amplifier. The analog inputs are connected to an Alan and Heath Zed 10 FX mixer via the XLR inputs. I have the S/PDIF out and in going to an Lexicon MPX 1 external FX box with the MBox 3 also providing the clock for the MPX1 (which due to an odd design quirk does not have its own clock for digital inputs). My the Lexicon is clearly picking up the audio and the digital inputs on sliders 1 and 2 are clearly picking up the audio. Out of the monitors I am and only hearing the mixer.

I would like to blend the digital input with the analog one, and if as you say the digital input comes in on 3 and 4 of the analog side (and I presume the analog side ones in on sliders 2 and 4 of the digital side) why am I seeing nothing on 3 and 4 on the analog side or digital side?

The analog inputs/output:

The digital inputs/outputs:

The Setup Panel:
Old 01-29-2022, 11:23 PM

You’re really overthinking what the driver does. Do yourself a favor and start by turning down all the faders on the Analog 1/2 tab except software return 1-2. Then turn down all the faders except software return 3-4 on the S/PDIF L/R tab.

Any mixing you want to do should be done in Pro Tools selecting the analog or digital inputs for your track inputs.

Now, here’s the fly in your ointment. Your setup won’t work. In what I think was a shortsighted decision, Avid decided to play the nanny and made the S/PDIF jack capable of receiving signal only when the clock source is also on S/PDIF. If the digital device your are using can’t be the master clock, then what you are trying to do won’t work.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:43 AM

I did what you said and now there is no sound and no activity on any of the meters. What did you think would happen?

All that does happen is the stereo out of the computer seems to be routed in to the first pair of analog and S/PDIF software returns.

So back to the original question, what is the purpose of analog and digital inputs 3 and 4?
Old 01-30-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I did what you said and now there is no sound and no activity on any of the meters. What did you think would happen?

All that does happen is the stereo out of the computer seems to be routed in to the first pair of analog software returns.

What did I think would happen? I know what would happen. The interface would perform as expected when you’re using it with Pro Tools. You’re fiddling around with the low-latency monitoring paths and returns and they have absolutely nothing to do with the interface working with any DAW. I told you to do that because if you did have it working with Pro Tools, you’d then be asking why are you hearing all the same thing no matter what you do and why are you getting feedback. If you don’t understand how the low-latency mixer works, it’s best to leave it alone.

You didn’t reply to the last thing I said. Believe me or not, but you won’t get the setup you described to work at all with the Mbox.

Old 01-30-2022, 12:03 PM

Please don't be angry, I meant no malice I was simply asking a question.

I don't use Pro Tools. I use Reaper.
Old 01-30-2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Please don't be angry, I meant no malice I was simply asking a question.

I don't use Pro Tools. I use Reaper.

Not angry. Just blunt.

One way you can make your setup work is to use the FX out from the zed10 to feed analog to the MPX1. The MPX1 can then come in via S/PDIF to the Mbox. Caveat: the MPX1 probably only runs at 48K so your sessions will always have to be 48K and the Mbox has to be clocked to the S/PDIF input.

The other way is just to use effects that are available in Reaper.