How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2014, 05:56 PM

Default Plugin Specified As Track/Aux Insert Only

Hi guys.

I've been researching for a while now and cannot find a good explanation for a basic question I have. So hopefully one of you can shed a little light on it for me.

I've been reading all my plugin manuals and some specify that the plugin was designed to be used as a track insert instead of being used on an aux send.

I obviously understand that a track insert affects the track directly and you will need some sort of method to blend the dry/wet signals most of the time. I also understand that using a plugin on an Aux allows it to process multiple tracks. Other than that I thought they affect the audio signal in the same manner.

However, they must not be affecting the signal in the same manner if the plugin developers are specifying to use their plugins as track or aux only.

So does anybody know what the difference is and why would a plugin be designed to be used in a specific way?
Old 11-28-2014, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Plugin Specified As Track/Aux Insert Only

Quote:
designed to be used as a track insert instead of being used on an aux send.
there is no way to put a plug-in on a Aux Send, maybe you just miss typed and meant Track

I would be interested in what manufactures say what

my general rule is:
time domain (reverbs/delays) on Aux Tracks
dynamic & frequency domain (compressors & EQs) primarily on Audio Tracks but also on Aux Tracks, a little EQ and de-essing before reverb can be useful and for group/stem processing

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-29-2014, 10:14 AM

Waves TrueVerb is made to be used as an insert (series) instead of a send (parallel).

They claim that they have worked out the proper balance of direct and reverb so that you can change the 'distance' parameter and get a realistic sound. The plugin automatically adjust the direct vs reverb balance. You can't do that if you stick it in parallel where you have to control the balance.

ASUS PRIME Z390-A / Intel i7 rackmount PC
Windows 10 home 64 bit
Pro-Tools 11.3.1
AIR Instrument Expansion Pack v2
WAVES Platinum plugin bundle
Tascam US-16x08 Interface
100% Analog real time monitoring 16x4
Yamaha 16 channel MG16XU Analog Monitor Mixer
Yamaha MX-88 / Novation XiO keyboards
Mackie 4-channel headphone amp
Adam A8X monitors
Blue / Shure, etc. microphones

Estonia 6' 8" Parlor Grand Piano
Yamaha Studio Drum kit

https://www.dc-choppah.com/
Old 11-29-2014, 10:36 AM

It really comes down to whether you want your original signal to be "changed"(use an insert) or "added to"(use an insert that offers a MIX control, or use a send/AUX track).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-29-2014, 07:13 PM

Yes, I downloaded the free Waves Pumper plugin they had for Black Friday.

When reading the manual it says:

The OneKnob Series plugins are designed to be inserted on Digital Audio Workstation track inserts. They are not designed to work in auxiliary send/return setups, but can be inserted in any plugin insert slot.

I guess it just doesn't make sense to me why it would matter whether it is used on a track or an aux. Seems like if the developer is stating that, then there must be some kind of a difference more than just a "how you choose to blend the effect" kind of thing.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:13 AM

Well....
If you think about it, effects that are serial, such as EQ's, compressors, gates, etc., are designed to color the entire signal path on the PT track.
You are not adjusting a dry to wet mix, therefore, you would almost never insert one on an aux track and bus audio tracks to it....It doesn't work well that way.
Reverbs, delays, chorus', flange......
They are good effects to put on an aux track, and bus sends from audio tracks.
That way, when you set your sends "Post Fader", you regulate the amount of effect simply by turning the send up and down.
It's a very efficient way to work especially on high track counts.
You can insert a verb/delay on an individual track, and use the wet/dry control to vary the amount of effect, but after you do that on a bunch of tracks, it gets a little hard to manage. Not to mention, if it is a processor hungry plug, adding a bunch of them is just kind of silly.

Look at a diagram of a mixer layout:
Protools is based on a traditional mixer layout and is a pretty efficient way to work.

There are also no rules....
Old 12-01-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eitw View Post
Yes, I downloaded the free Waves Pumper plugin they had for Black Friday.

When reading the manual it says:

The OneKnob Series plugins are designed to be inserted on Digital Audio Workstation track inserts. They are not designed to work in auxiliary send/return setups, but can be inserted in any plugin insert slot.

I guess it just doesn't make sense to me why it would matter whether it is used on a track or an aux. Seems like if the developer is stating that, then there must be some kind of a difference more than just a "how you choose to blend the effect" kind of thing.
Remember, the One Knob stuff is kind of "For Dummies" stuff.

It handles the wet/dry stuff on its own, so there is no need to use it in any way other than as an insert.

Is there some reason why you would want to use it on an Aux?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-03-2014, 01:30 AM

Booker...

I understand how to use them as I mentioned in my original post. My question was more geared towards the technical reasoning behind why the developer would specify one to be used specifically in series or parallel. More along the lines of DC-Choppa's response.

Maybe I should just be content to use them how the manufacturer says but my curiosity always gets the better of me and I want to understand the why.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Remember, the One Knob stuff is kind of "For Dummies" stuff.

It handles the wet/dry stuff on its own, so there is no need to use it in any way other than as an insert.

Is there some reason why you would want to use it on an Aux?

I wouldn't want to use the thing at all. Haha

I'd rather just setup my own side-chaining if I wanted that effect.

Just read that statement in the manual and it baffles me. Maybe I'll shoot Waves support an email to see if they can clarify.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eitw View Post
Booker...

I understand how to use them as I mentioned in my original post. My question was more geared towards the technical reasoning behind why the developer would specify one to be used specifically in series or parallel. More along the lines of DC-Choppa's response.

Maybe I should just be content to use them how the manufacturer says but my curiosity always gets the better of me and I want to understand the why.
Understood,
I don't think there is any real technical reason outside of wet/dry mix options.
What did you mean regarding "side-chaining"?