Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 09-26-2011, 02:48 AM

Default Why can't I set my plugins root settings folder outside PT's default folder?

I used the "Set root settings folder" to set the root folder for plugin settings (I am on Windows 7/64) outside the default folder, which is somewhere in the Program Files folder where it should not be at all. It worked for reading the settings, but as soon as I want to save a new preset, I get an error message saying that I cannot save outside the root settings folder... :-(.
When I set it back to the default folder, it works again.
What am I missing?
Old 09-26-2011, 03:27 AM

Default Re: Why can't I set my plugins root settings folder outside PT's default folder?

Leaving it at the default folder?

But seriously, other than putting samples on a separate drive, you should just let everything install/save in the default location.

I've seen a lot of people put forth various reasons for trying to put things in odd-ball locations and none of them have seemed to really make any sense...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 09-26-2011, 04:18 AM

Default Re: Why can't I set my plugins root settings folder outside PT's default folder?

User-related files need to go into a user-related folder and I consider my own presets to fall into that category. When backing up a system, I back up my user-related files, that's it. Everything else can get installed from the distribution media of the programs.
PT stores user-related files in it's own binary folder, which is simply wrong. The effect has been that when I re-installed Windows, they had been gone, because I simply forgot that PT stores files in non-standard places.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:01 PM

Macs also don't like things moved from where the installer puts them. I don't know of a workaround.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:11 PM

Not the snawer you are looking for but heres what I do...

When I save a new preset I make a folder with my name in the default folder of settings for that plug in.

I put and extra space before the first letter to drive the folder to the top of the list.

and then save my user settings into that folder.

Took a few minutes (maybe 40) to do that for some plug ins when I set it up my new system, to make sure it was standardized but now the folder is already there in default for each plug in, well most of them anyway...

whenever I have needed to transfer to a new pro tools install I zip the entire plug in presets folder. (its not big AT all since each file is so small...)

Then in the new install I just go into each folder and drag my user folder in.

This is NOT a elegant solution but it works, doesn't take a whole lot of time and keeps things organized.

But that process only has to be done for a brand new install... ie: New OS, fresh Pro tools. . and thus only every 2 years or so depending, most of the time longer.

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.