Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2004, 11:42 PM

Default What\'s with all these locked announcements?

What's with all these locked announcements? There are six now taking up the top half of the TDM conference.

There is already an entire area for Digidesign announcements. It is called, funnily enough, "Digidesign Announcements". It is located at the top of the DUC list of categories.

Can't these locked threads just be relegated to that forum. It makes this TDM forum too cluttered.

Anyone agree?
Old 10-16-2004, 11:45 PM

Default Re: What\'s with all these locked announcements?

Yup, and it doesn't look overly "cool" that it's all updates and fixes...

And the no noise one is in most the forums, sure it's quite interesting to read that the version before sometimes didn't even work! But, still - of no interest to ALL users.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:49 PM

I have to ask what size monitor and screen resolution you're running???

I have a 20" LCD at 1280x1024 and my DUC prefs set to show 25 threads per page... and the sticky threads hardly eat up any real estate.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 10-16-2004, 11:57 PM

[quoteI have a 20" LCD at 1280x1024 and my DUC prefs set to show 25 threads per page... and the sticky threads hardly eat up any real estate.

Rail

[/QUOTE]

Yeah well,, you know what,,?
I bet i can run faster than you,,,
Old 10-17-2004, 12:05 AM

Quote:
I have to ask what size monitor and screen resolution you're running???

I have a 20" LCD at 1280x1024 and my DUC prefs set to show 25 threads per page... and the sticky threads hardly eat up any real estate.

Rail
I have several macs, including a 23" Cinema Display, but I don't really feel that it should be necessary to boot up my Pro Tools rig to read the DUC when I have my laptop handy on the end of my sofa.

I take it you approve of the locked threads?
Old 10-17-2004, 12:09 AM

I think they serve a valid purpose. To reduce redundant threads.. even though it's amazing how many people don't read them and still post a problem which is answered directly by a sticky thread... the Windows forum is a perfect example, where every day there's a new thread from someone who installed Service Pack 2. Similarly the Mac forum where people ignore the troubleshooting sticky thread. I have to believe though, for every one post.. there are hundreds who read the sticky thread and didn't post.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 10-17-2004, 01:02 AM

Point taken. Well, why not have a sticky thread called "Read This Before You Post"... with every possible link to the most popular scenarios included.

Otherwise we will eventually have an entire forum taken up with these 'stickies'.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:27 AM

Agree, please put these on another part of the forum, maybe the frontpage? I am using 1280 x 854 and find it very irritating to say the least.

MassiveMusic

SOS article
Old 10-17-2004, 07:59 AM

Frontpage? Who goes to the frontpage? And who views the DUC inside the frames? If you're concerned about screen real estate, first thing you should do is bust the frame apart... for mac users, hold down control when you click on the DUC... use "open link in new window" -- then copy this url and make it a favorite. Windows users can do this by right-clicking. You'll get about 25% more room for posts without the frame nonsense.

I think the stickys are a good thing, especially since it attempts to reduce redundant posts such as, "is 10.3.5 qualified" and it reminds us that many of us have not updated to the latest cs version - which oftentimes will solve the problem before you post about it.

I agree that MAYBE some stickys could be consolidated...
Old 10-17-2004, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Tell you what, I'll "unstick" a couple if it makes you happy. It seems to be the same few people that complain everytime we make a new sticky topic.
I do almost all of my work on a laptop, including more time than most viewing the DUC, and don't have a problem scrolling past the sticky threads. Like many "annoying" things we all see on a daily basis, it's fairly simple to ignore them.

We leave theme up for awhile and then we retire them (unstick them) after we think most users old and new have seen them. Believe me, if everyone read the Announcements section, it would not be necessary to have the stickies in other forums, but most users do not go there on a regulare basis. Likewise, we have a lot of links at the top of every DUC page that say "read this first", and still there are dozens of posts every day that could be answered by clicking on the Compatibility or Answerbase links. Just because you see the same sticky thread every day doesn't mean many others are not seeing it for the first time.

The suggestion about changing preferences to show 25 topics and 25 posts per page in your My Home section or more is a good one. When we first migrated the previous version of the DUC software (UBB Classic) to the current UBB Threads, it automatically set every existing members preferences to 10 topics and 10 posts per page. We immediately set that to 25 topics for new members, but existing members need to change that and the the number of posts to view in their display preferences.