Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2004, 03:21 PM

Default Re: ProTools LE Dual Processor Support...

Now you've got me thinking. If one processor is handling everything except screen redraws and PT, maybe that's why my system is crashing so much. What I mean is that maybe the 2nd processor is allowing me to work so fast with the screen redraws etc. that processor one, running 30+ tracks with plugins etc. can't keep up.

Any thoughts anyone? Anyone else having crash problems running a full track count session?

Dual 1.8 G5, OSX 10.3.4, 002R, PT 6.4
Old 10-10-2004, 08:05 PM

This is very disapointing for someone like me who is just finding out that all the money i spent on my DUAL G5 is not being fully used. damn...
Pro Tools LE 6.4
Logic Express 7
Mbox
Old 10-10-2004, 10:32 PM

Quote:
This is very disapointing for someone like me who is just finding out that all the money i spent on my DUAL G5 is not being fully used. damn...
Your still better off than if you bought a single processor computer as you are using 99% of one of them cpu's as opposed to 85% of a single cpu machine,,
Old 10-10-2004, 10:46 PM

Quote:
how much would you value the snappiness and responsiveness that cannot be achieved with a single-cpu systems?
Old 10-11-2004, 04:57 PM

Where do I go to see both processors functioning? In PT when I bring up the "Show System Usage" box, I have three little bar graphs that pop up.

PCI
CPU
DISK

I'm running a DP 1.25. Should I be seeing a second CPU bar?

Kyle
Old 10-11-2004, 05:10 PM

That one shows you how PT is using your system,,
If you go to mac hard drive,, applications,, utilities,,, activity monitor,,
You will be able to see how the system as a whole is working,,
Old 10-11-2004, 08:50 PM

Quote:
dont you think you should look into things like that before you spend"all that money". I really dont think the G5 are all that expensive i paid $2200 including tax for an 800mhz imac g4 3 years ago.Bought a g5 1.6 single processor for $1700 last year and will probably buy another G5 this year.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I was wondering when someone was going to point out the obvious. Pro Tools has only recently made a serious (if you can call it that) entry into the Native market. Everything they do seems to be with the obvious conflict of interest between their Native systems and their TDM etc. systems at the root of all the problems. They have no motive to optimize their LE system. They must know that the G5 has nearly obviated the need for TDM systems (although not yet - but with the new farming concept I think TDM's days are numbered).

It's such bullocks! Digidesign should have optimized code! Thats just plain customer support! i can understand the 32 track limit (although that also sucks!) and other limitations built into the software. But LE should be fully compatible with the computers it runs on. Digi is obligated to that. What are they gonna do when the G6 comes out? make protools LE do long division in the background to make sure people buy TDM systems? or perhaps a 32 plugin limit? i probly shouldn't give them any ideas... Capitalists.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you. I was wondering when someone was going to point out the obvious. Pro Tools has only recently made a serious (if you can call it that) entry into the Native market. Everything they do seems to be with the obvious conflict of interest between their Native systems and their TDM etc. systems at the root of all the problems. They have no motive to optimize their LE system. They must know that the G5 has nearly obviated the need for TDM systems (although not yet - but with the new farming concept I think TDM's days are numbered).

It's such bullocks! Digidesign should have optimized code! Thats just plain customer support! i can understand the 32 track limit (although that also sucks!) and other limitations built into the software. But LE should be fully compatible with the computers it runs on. Digi is obligated to that. What are they gonna do when the G6 comes out? make protools LE do long division in the background to make sure people buy TDM systems? or perhaps a 32 plugin limit? i probly shouldn't give them any ideas... Capitalists.
Well,, all of this would be true,, except they make no secret that the software is what it is,, so you should know what it is when you buy it,,,
As it stands,, PT is fully compatible with the computer it runs on,, or it wouldn't run,,
They are not obligated to do any thing that they don't advertise,,
No matter how powerful computers become,, i dought very much that digi will stop making TDM cards as they to will just become more powerful,, ie d24,, MIX,, HD,, ACCEL,,
I would imagine also that le will expand as time goes on,, maybe even by PT7,,
Old 10-14-2004, 03:08 AM

homebelly your right, i got a little hot headed. they aren't obligated to anything, that is true. Their dilemma of keeping the gap big enough between LE and TDM to make people keep buying TDM is simply getting to the point where they should re-think the whole strategy. Esspecialy considering their competition. And i do think, with PTLE being a host based system, it should not just run, but actualy use the computer to its full potential. It's in Digi's best interests... more and more LE users will jump ship for logic sooner than upgrading to TDM. to prevent this Digi could keep LE comparable with logic and enjoy a hearty, happy clientel... TDM and LE users.