Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2022, 07:09 AM

Default How to Record Drum tracks through ProTools/Scarleyy 2i2 interface - with AKAI- MPD218

Good Morning All -
I've been desperately trying to use an AKAI MPD 218 to play a drum track. I can play it separately in the MPC Beats, but I want to be able to play it just like an instrument (like plugging in my guitar) - I hit a drum pad, and it immediately shows on the track while I record. (any additional hardware needed....? does it need to go directly thru interface? It only has USB connection right now..and ProTools doesn't recognize it as an input via computer....

If I can't have it plugging in like an instrument, then I would like to at least have the capability to create tracks within MP3 Beats within ProTOOLS as a virtual instrument.

I hope someone can help...this is the most frustrating thing ever. I hope I don't have to go buy a keyboard so I can plug it directly into the interface.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-06-2022, 11:38 AM

Default Re: How to Record Drum tracks through ProTools/Scarleyy 2i2 interface - with AKAI- MP

I have to say the manual for that is garbage.. Normally there would be setup instructions for most popular DAW's.

The basics - You need to set it as a MIDI controller, create an instrument track in Pro Tools and add a drum plugin to that track.

Some generic instructions can be found here: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...-in-pro-tools/

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 04-06-2022, 11:44 AM

Default Re: How to Record Drum tracks through ProTools/Scarleyy 2i2 interface - with AKAI- MP

MPC Beats is available as a AAX VI that runs within Pro Tools so why not use that vs. recording "like plugging in my guitar"? (you record a guitar to an *audio* track, a VI playing in Pro Tools usually records MIDI to an *instrument* track (confusingly not a MIDI track, not an audio track). The Pro Tools reference guide has lots of good explanations of things like this, the PDF is already installed on your system and is searchable.

Solve one problem at a time, get the VI/plugin installed and running then sort out the controller working with Pro Tools. And all this *has* to be explained documented/video tutorial somewhere. e.g. first google search turns up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLk1NsVwbsM
Old 04-06-2022, 11:46 AM

[Damn flakey DUC permission denied error crap, so I'll split up my reply and leave you to look for more stuff online]

Pro Tools supports AAX format plugins/virtual instruments. Normally all you should have to do is run the vendors installer to install the plugins in Pro Tools. I've never seen that installer, it may ask if you want to install AAX plugins... if so you have to say yes. You can then instantiate that plugin on an *instrument* (not an audio or other type of) track. Can you then play notes by typing on the keyboard in the VI GUI? Or drawing in MIDI notes with the pencil? (I have no idea, never used that VI, but do something to confirm the VI is working, you can hear notes etc.).

Now get the MPD 218 controller working with Pro Tools. Again hopefully you can find online help/tutorials with that.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:42 AM

Hey Everyone! Thank you for your responses. The issue has been resolved. I'm not completely sure how it worked, but there was a tutorial on YouTube that I followed step by step. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0P7S5RXkzw

I was able to see the pads responding in the track, but no actual drum sounds, just the generic MIDI sound. I realized I could not follow the tutorial at one point since I didn't have the options for the VST's within KONTAKT, but managed through trial and error, to make it work! Finally! Such a daunting task, a simple one for the pros, but very rewarding as a beginner because I learned so much through just trying to make it work.

Thanks again!