How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2018, 07:29 AM

Default iMac Pro

Hi All,

I know there have been threads on this topic in the past ... still hard trying to get a definitive answer.

Specifically for Pro Tools, and if cost isn't an issue, is it better to get the 8-Core 3.2GHz iMac Pro or one of the other options with more cores but slower clock speed. Again ... don't mind spending the $ on more cores, but if it actually is better to have a faster clock speed with less cores I'll happily do that!

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-03-2018, 10:06 AM

Default Re: iMac Pro

Hello from sunny Edinburgh,
I completely sympathise with you and the lack of any definitive advice, whether online in forums such as this, or indeed from Apple, or supposedly professional Digidesign sales people, regarding the best iMac Pro system to run Pro Tools on.
I spent 3 or 4 months attempting to find useful information.....and in April, this year, I was fairly sure, that I'd hedge my bets and get a fairly well loaded up 10 core machine etc.
Then I happened to visit a good friend of mine, who runs a professional video making/website design business, and he'd been using an 8 core, base model, for a few months. He advised me, that in his opinion (tho he doesn't use Pro Tools!) the base model would more than meet my ongoing needs.
So I bought the 8 core base model....with 64g ram and a 1tb ssd......
Then I had 14 days in which to install all my software and test as thoroughly as I could.....cos Apple would take the iMac Pro back within that time.
Sods law intervened, and the then operating system (10.13.4) had major crashing bugs/problems with Pro Tools........so the whole ****ing system would crash as soon as I started going about 10% cpu usage.
Which meant I was using "freeze" tracks, far more than I'd intended.....and really had no idea if, when either Apple or Digidesign released a new version, with ideally, no bugs etc.....if my system would work as I needed.
So....anyway.....I kept the 8 core. Which saved me approx £3,000.......which I've been happily spending on more plug ins and other things.
And it seems to be working just fine for me.....since Apple released OX 10.13.5.
But I only use my system to mix. I have the capability of recording, but don't want to be recording in my home.
I've had crashing problems with certain bits of software (Native Helix Guitar amp thing, being by far the worst.....), but mostly, I seem to have a very stable system that is a joy to use.
Hmmmm...so I would recommend getting a base model 8 core (unless anyone gives you definitive advice to the contrary) and trying it out for 14 days......and if you are finding that you need more cores....then send it back and try a different model.
As far as I can tell, Pro Tools is spreading the core load fairly evenly. And apart for the very occasional "spike" (which is usually down to a rogue bit of software....sometimes nothing to do with Pro Tools, but that I've added to use for other purposes on my computer), I haven't come close to pushing the system.....though due to my initial few weeks with the system, I am finding I actually quite like "freezing" certain tracks....it stops me from constantly fiddling with things......).
Good luck!
Old 07-03-2018, 10:27 AM

Thanks for the reply!

I've been leaning that way (3.2GHz / 8-core). Unless I hear otherwise I'm going to make the move in the next week or so.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:08 PM

The 2017 iMac Pro 8-core is said he be a little faster than the 2013 Mac Pro so you should be good with it. When CPU prices and it's out of warranty you can upgrade.

2017 iMac Pro Teardown + OWC Memory Upgrade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IoZl1Fb0hg
Old 07-05-2018, 06:16 AM

thanks ... yea I was figuring if it was equal or a little faster then the trashcan MacPro with all the current USB, Thunderbolt, etc I'd be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
The 2017 iMac Pro 8-core is said he be a little faster than the 2013 Mac Pro so you should be good with it. When CPU prices and it's out of warranty you can upgrade.

2017 iMac Pro Teardown + OWC Memory Upgrade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IoZl1Fb0hg