How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2022, 02:33 AM

Default Re: Hardware delay comp ahead lynx

Hi Darryl,

It´s a bug number PT-265901. I also had two other people check this with different (Avid) interfaces back then, and they found out the same thing (all on Mac) - as did people eventually at Avid. As Dax Productions mentioned, the delay is so small that it doesn´t matter (not to me neither) if one runs outboard equipment thru the HW Inserts normally. I can live with it till the fix. If I want to parallel process, then I need to have an unit that has dry/wet option or need a mixing board. (or something like a TK Audio MS-blender.) Quite an expensive workaround. So yeah, it´s not broken. It´s just not working as advertised. It used to though. (ok, haven´t checked the latest PT 2022.10 version yet.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Do you have a bug number for this?
Quote:
What does not really help advance improving stuff is thinking H/W insert latency comp "is all broken". It's not, it works for many users. But it clearly has problems, clearly needs Avid developer attention, and the sooner all those problems can be found/reproduced/documented/fixed the better.

Last edited by Jonne; 11-09-2022 at 02:51 AM.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Huh?

It sure uses a CoreAudio driver... and that connection is via Thunderbolt, it might be a variant of a PCIe driver. But you can't aggregate their interfaces like they talk about unless it's all CoreAudio.
My point being is if the Lynx uses the Apple Core Audio TB driver that it probably isn't a driver issue then.

And with the above post I see it's an AVID issue.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 11-09-2022, 11:59 AM

Purely based on my many experiences with Lynx customer support and Avid customer support - Im betting the issue is NOT a lynx issue. They are so responsive and quick to fix any issues I just can't imagine this slipping past them.
Old 11-09-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d. finley View Post
My point being is if the Lynx uses the Apple Core Audio TB driver that it probably isn't a driver issue then.

And with the above post I see it's an AVID issue.
What are you talking about? There is no "Thunderbolt CoreAudio" driver provided by Apple. The CoreAudio driver being discussed comes from Lynx.

"the post above" means nothing, there are multiple problems here, some known, some likely not. You have no hard information to know what is causing a particular problem.
Old 11-09-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherzfeld View Post
Purely based on my many experiences with Lynx customer support and Avid customer support - Im betting the issue is NOT a lynx issue. They are so responsive and quick to fix any issues I just can't imagine this slipping past them.
That may well be true, but the latency data here is a few bytes of data exchanged between the driver and pro tools, with a little snooping it may be possible to confirm/see the problem happening and be able to show which side is at fault. Thats seems a lot more progress than guessing/betting.

Edit: and although not a Lynx customer, I appreciate their support is likely very much better than Avid's. It was painful just getting one clear, beautiful reproducible, latency comp bug through Avid support recently and filed as a bug, and that's after reaching out to different Avid to folks for help. Still I'd hope we could all to aim to try to track down were problem exist in some detail (so there is any chance of them getting solved) and get bugs opened.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-09-2022 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-09-2022, 10:00 PM

Quote:
That may well be true, but the latency data here is a few bytes of data exchanged between the driver and pro tools, with a little snooping it may be possible to confirm/see the problem happening and be able to show which side is at fault. Thats seems a lot more progress than guessing/betting.

Edit: and although not a Lynx customer, I appreciate their support is likely very much better than Avid's. It was painful just getting one clear, beautiful reproducible, latency comp bug through Avid support recently and filed as a bug, and that's after reaching out to different Avid to folks for help. Still I'd hope we could all to aim to try to track down were problem exist in some detail (so there is any chance of them getting solved) and get bugs opened.
Oh I totally agree. Im just pointing out that for almost 10 years now I email the same tech guy at Lynx and get a response basically immediately, and he knows the things inside and out - hardware and software side. Every nuance and detail. Its awesome.

What next steps do you recommend using RTL to gather more data? Gimme some tests to run and Ill do it and report back here.
Old 11-10-2022, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherzfeld View Post
What next steps do you recommend using RTL to gather more data? Gimme some tests to run and Ill do it and report back here.
Yes sorry, we seem out of sync while agreeing, I had PM'ed you a message days ago because I could not read the RTL table clearly because of DUC scaling down the image. I gave you my email address there, if you can send me or share here the RTL log file (Users/<you>/Library/Logs/RTL Utility/RTL Utility measurements log.txt) as plain text would be great.