Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 07-20-2013, 01:59 AM

Default Restoring Pro Tools files

Hi all, the worst thing happened: a disk crashed, with three pro tools files on it that i have no backup off. The disk got restored. i have a zillion wav files now and a couple hundred of .pts files (the songs were .ptf), see the pic attached. when i open the .pts files i get COULD NOT COMPLETE REQEUST BECAUSE OUT OF RANGE POLYVECTOR, etc.
Can anybody help me out? it is very important, i am working for a client on these three songs.
Thanks!
j
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2013-07-20 at 10.45.05.jpg (55.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-20-2013, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Restoring Pro Tools files

I can't read with version you are on. Need PT, OS etc.

Explain how the disk got restored. Are you using it after formatting?

Have you tried inputting the tracks one by one to a new session?
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:10 AM

thanks!
the files were created in pro tools 9, i am opening the with pro tools 10. strangely the restoration program (i don't know what app it was, a computer tech restored it for me) labeled all the files as pts, version 5.1.

i am using the drive that got restored, the tech put the files back on there, i don't know if it has been formatted. i will ask.

i have tried to import some of the wav audio files into a new session. they all have theis time stamps still. only thing is there are thousands of wav's and the songs were edited extensively.

jan
Old 07-20-2013, 02:07 PM

i forgot to mention that the computer tech told me that the restoring application probably gave every file that had to do with pro tools a .pts extension. so there are 3600 of them. no titles, just numbers. i figure that not all of them are actual sessions. i clicked to open about 40 of them, i will try more tomorrow, and also try to open them with the pro tools 9 on my laptop.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:11 PM

at park seward:
the data was restored with: Data Rescue 3 3.2.2
then the drive was partitioned and the data put back on it.
both my laptop, on which the files have been created, and my studio computer run on 10.6.8.

thanks!
Old 07-20-2013, 03:35 PM

Your drive failed and after data recover you are now messing around with the files on that repaired drive? Why did the drive fail? A hardware error or user mistake? If it was a hardware error then why are you still running off that drive? The first thing you should do is make a backup copy of all the recovered files. Actually you should be making two copies, one working copy to try to repair/work with and a backup copy you can roll back to or copy files from if/when you screw up things during the recovery attempt. Another reason to do a full copy of that data first is to just check the drive contents are really readable as you think.

The first thing to do is to give up any idea of quick recovery. You need to slowly and systemically go through everything here. Cut and past a directory listing into something like a spreadsheet or text editor and take notes on each file as you work through these things. Start sorting files into folders (old/dupilciate copies or things, previously deleted files, file for a certain session etc.). And remember you will have multiple versions of the same files, close copies from autosave, files that were previously deliberately deleted. You have to just try to sort out what you have. Are you even sure all the file extensions are correct? And that might involve using a file identity or dump utility (there are several) if files don't appear to be what the file extensions say. Sessions file are likely to have lots of problems, not find content etc. You may end up giving up entirely on using them and just create a new blank session and import the content files as Park has suggested. Can you even find the latest session files? Are any there session files that actually open? Get the missing media file names from those sessions then go find those wave files?

The more technical/geeky you are the more you might get away with here, writing scripts try to automate things. etc. Finding duplicate, or close versions of files. Pulling out content file names from session files, etc. But you would know that already.

And you had no backups to start with? Pretty bad idea huh. Did band members or others have backups? If only raw tracking files?