Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-30-2004, 10:47 AM

Default Administrator rights

I understand that Digidesign requires that Protools LE be run by a user with administrator rights, but I am wondering if anyone has had any luck running it with less.. I would like to use our workstations on a NT domain LAN. ..

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Rob
1gb ddr ram
Seagate Firewire 160gb audio storage drive.
Mbox - LE 6.4
Old 07-30-2004, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Administrator rights

I got some ideas for you. You'll have to set up permissions auditing. I don't have a pc here in front of me to tell you where to audit, but you'll have to at the very least audit the directory/files where PT is installed, and also the registry under HKLM\Software where it's also installed. Now initializing the Mbox could be another story. Hopefully, you don't have to do anything to get that to work as an unpriveliged user, but it if only works as an admin, it will be a super long road to figure out what need to be unlocked. It just might take some work to get it all figured out, but most likely it can be done. (Although I have seen a scanner from HP that will absolutely not work unless you are an admin).

A cheap way to find out is to logon as a Power User and see if that works. That group has almost as much access as an administrator.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:30 AM

That would be the simplest way to go BUT a couple of things happens.. First, protools prompts for the serial number every time I start up the program and the workplace record settings get changed to transfer (T) instead of record (R). The last one had me completely baffled.. After entering the serial number, I tried opening some existing projects and each one gave me an error about missing audio. Considering the amount of projects we have, I was a bit worried to say the least when I put the windows security back to administrator right and could still NOT access the audio. Searching the DUC I found a reference to the Workplace window and the T, P, R setting for audio and video. So, I am back to square one..

I'll try your suggestions and let you know..

Anyone know why Protools has to run as administrator? There must be a good reason??

Rob

1gb ddr ram
Seagate Firewire 160gb audio storage drive.
Mbox - LE 6.4
Old 08-23-2004, 08:01 AM

Yeh

I've been having the same problems. Anyone noticed the dubiously labeled registry key created by Protools yet?!
Old 08-23-2004, 01:26 PM

Digi have changed the code to allow Macs to run without Admin privledges.. I'm sure it's a matter of time for Windows.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••