Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 01-27-2021, 04:22 PM

Default HDX card noise on PT startup

Well it’s been an interesting week getting my 2 HD systems up and running. Got my HD native all squared away after some weird driver install issues.

Today I was setting up my single HDX card in the Avid single desktop thunderbolt 3 chassis. Everything hooked up fine and was recognized by protools.

My questions is, during most operation the fan on the HDX seems pretty quiet, but when starting up protools, the fan/card gives off a strange “whirrrrr” sound for a few seconds then stops. Is this normal behavior? It’s like the fan maxes out for a second or two then stops.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2021, 06:42 AM

Default Re: HDX card noise on PT startup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG602 View Post
Well it’s been an interesting week getting my 2 HD systems up and running. Got my HD native all squared away after some weird driver install issues.

Today I was setting up my single HDX card in the Avid single desktop thunderbolt 3 chassis. Everything hooked up fine and was recognized by protools.

My questions is, during most operation the fan on the HDX seems pretty quiet, but when starting up protools, the fan/card gives off a strange “whirrrrr” sound for a few seconds then stops. Is this normal behavior? It’s like the fan maxes out for a second or two then stops.

Thanks!

Hi,

When you first turn on the computer it does a hardware check which usually means all fans on cards and GPU cards go to full during the hardware test. So if its just running fast for the first few seconds its no problem.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:15 AM

Default Re: HDX card noise on PT startup

Yeah, when you first launch the ProTools application, it whips the fan up and then back down - and tends to be VERY whiny and noisy the entire time that PT is running. Shutting down the app will kill the fan on the HDX card. There are some on here that have been successful in replacing the fan with a quieter version, but I've not gone there..!..

Cheers, eh?