Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2012, 08:43 PM

Default Anyone using PT9 on a mac mini and/or mac mini server?

I'm a PC user, but think of adding a mac mini (probably the server version -2011) (setup would allow me to keep everything plugged and switch between two computers and... no I can't invest at this time in a Mac Pro. Not interested in a laptop either.

Anyone using PT9 on such a box ?

My external equipment:
RME Fireface 800 (to Yamaha 02R)
MOTU MIDI Express 128

I don't care about the ''server'' function : it's just that this model is the more powerful (native) of the 3 models, and upgrading another one to the same level costs more.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 01-17-2012, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Anyone using PT9 on a mac mini and/or mac mini server?

There have been a couple of threads on here if you search, and also on Gearslutz.

The bottom line is that they work great, and seem to be a good solution.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:40 PM

Thanks Nst7. Indeed it looks like it works for others.

For those who have the mini server: I am told that indeed one can just uncheck the ''server app'' when launching the box for the first time. But one of you raised that point: ''Will I lose the function of the ethernet port if I successfully install Lion client?''

What's the verdict on this ?

And...anyone also use the mini for PT10 ?

Anyone uses BootCamp/Win 7 x64 on this ? - Although I'm unsure about running PT in Win on it, but just in case...
Old 01-18-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanstrad View Post
For those who have the mini server: I am told that indeed one can just uncheck the ''server app'' when launching the box for the first time. But one of you raised that point: ''Will I lose the function of the ethernet port if I successfully install Lion client?''

What's the verdict on this ?
Not sure where you're going with this. The server comes with both the client and server installed. A lot of people say that the server runs 'on top' of the client, but it really just several background processes that run concurrent with the client processes. If you do not configure the server, you basically get the client so the losing the ethernet port thing really doesn't apply - everything functions normally. There are a few server items that still run in the background even though it's disabled/unconfigured, but they don't take enough resources that you would notice. Those can be disabled also, but you need to get into the system folder and tweak some low level stuff.

I also run Win 7 Ultimate x64 under boot camp with no problems, but I haven't really pushed the envelope - just testing. I've sucessfully run PT9, PT10 Demo, Studio One 2 and a few other apps with no issues. But again - no real stressers, just some light use to see if it works. Load times and what little I've done, the performance is excellent.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1