Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2011, 03:14 PM

Default FYI - Fender Mustang IV works GREAT with Eleven Rack!

If you're looking for a great combo amp for the Eleven Rack consider the very affordable Fender Mustang IV (can be had for $450 after 10% discount coupon at Gtr Ctr). I just bought one and LOVE IT! Here's why...

1.) Sounds KILLER going from your Eleven Rack amp outputs (L&R) into the Stereo Effects Returns on the Mustang IV. With this setup you're not using the Fender Modeling/preamp section at all and only using the amp's Master Volume control. Unlike going straight into a combo amp, this actually sounds best with Eleven Rack Cabinet modeling left ON because it's really designed for modeling.

2.) The Mustang IV is a stereo solid state combo amp with 75watts on each side and can get LOUD! It comes standard with 2x Celestion Seventy80 12" speakers.

3.) The Fender modeling is very intuitive and sounds AWESOME! If you want to leave your Eleven Rack behind on some gigs, you totally can.

4.) Weighs 47 lbs. Still heavy but weights about 15 lbs. less than a Fender Twin. You can carry it with 1 hand if you're reasonably strong.

5.) I don't think you'd find a better value anywhere. Incredibly versatile and a no-brainer modeling solution at $450 at guitar center if you buy it with a 10% discount coupon.

6.) Includes 4 button footswitch

Images...
http://www.rockpalace.com/gfx_produc...Mustang-IV.jpg

http://www.rockpalace.com/gfx_produc...Mustang-IV.jpg

http://www.themusiczoo.com/images/2-...12_Combo_b.jpg

http://www.fender.com/themes/product..._switch4_5.jpg
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 03-28-2011, 03:54 PM

Default Re: FYI - Fender Mustang IV works GREAT with Eleven Rack!

That looks like an awesome amp for the Eleven Rack. I've been looking for a cool solution, and this may be it! Espessially cause you can also just use the amp on its own.

Two question:
- How does the amp hold up with the more hardcore plexi amp settings on the Eleven Rack.
- Is it also possible to use the effects on the Mustang but not use the amp moddeling? That would be for delay and reverb, because they don't spill-over on the Eleven Rack :)

Last but not least... care to make a youtube video?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiLive View Post

Two question:
- How does the amp hold up with the more hardcore plexi amp settings on the Eleven Rack.
- Is it also possible to use the effects on the Mustang but not use the amp moddeling? That would be for delay and reverb, because they don't spill-over on the Eleven Rack :)

Last but not least... care to make a youtube video?
It sounds killer with the plexis, plenty of chunk! No, you can't turn off the amp on the Mustang IV - unfortunate but not a deal breaker. Really even if I could, I can't see myself having a need to mix the effects/modeling built into the Mustang with what the 11R has - it's better I think to use one or the other. But remember using the 11R into the effects return on the Mustang in stereo is extremely cool.

I'll try and do a video soon.
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 03-29-2011, 07:19 AM

I just picked up a Mustang I for practice and fun when I just want to plug and play in my home office. I had a $20 off coupon so it was just $79 - less than a tank of gas (I justified to the boss).

DOES NOT HAVE EFFECTS LOOP INPUT LIKE MUSTANG IV.

But it is very nice little amp. Lots of tone that is easy to get to fast. Very customizable quickly. Loud little sucker!

I am a beginner so I am just really learning fine points of tone. So for what it is worth, I find the Fender amp models in the Mustang the most impressive so far (Tweed, Bassman, etc.). Last night I strumed a chord and was really amazed at the tone quality.

Two issues that is slowing my learning curve on tone and effects. First, I know that most amps (I have a tube amp too) really don't deliver the full quality of their capabilities until they are loud. And, since most of my playing time is at night I'm using headphones or low volume. I think that is slowing my understanding for both mixing and tones.

Second, and related, I have notices that the tone-based modeling and DSP products really lay the effects on heavy for the presets to demonstrate capabilities. So add that to my first issue and that's my challenge.

I read once that you should add and effort up to the point you hear it and then dial it back a little. I don't know. :) But, didn't one once say, "Better to have too much tone than none at all." Well, I just did! :)
Old 03-29-2011, 09:25 AM

I think the smaller Mustang amps are fine for practice amps and really convenient. My reaction to the Mustang IV when I first heard the name was it's probably a toy. I was dead wrong. The Mustang IV can more than hold it's own to any 2x12 I've come across. The important distinction/difference is that it's built as more of a full range amp than a guitar amp - in a sense like a PA - you can even plug your iPod into it and you've got a giant stereo boom box. This isn't a bad thing because modeling has come a long way in the past year or so. The Fender modeling and Fuse software - very cool. The Eleven rack paired with this amp - very cool. I also own a POD HD500 and this sounds very cool also. Anyway, off my soapbox.

Here's a pretty good video demonstrating the Mustang IV and Fender's modeling (this isn't me, just found it in a youtube search)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwAKIOyhjzo
Old 03-29-2011, 09:51 AM

Seems like a smart buy. I also wonder what else its out there with stereo returns?

Every real Twin Reverb I've ever had weighed at least 79-85 lbs. You can carry them one hand. I used to lived in a 4 floor apt and my parking space was about a half football field away. You needed the Twin in one hand to carry a guitar in the other. A couple years of doing that three times a week made carrying a Marshall 4-12 around with both hands seem easy.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-17-2011, 07:51 AM

Had another question:
I still want to use the effects on the Fender Mustang as well as the effects on the Eleven Rack. How does the Mustang hold up with the Eleven Rack as it's input device? :)
Old 06-12-2011, 01:03 PM

So the Mustang actually works in pro tools 9???????
Old 06-12-2011, 05:03 PM

I gather that you turn off the modelling with this being that it is actual guitar speakers, correct?
Old 06-12-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
I gather that you turn off the modelling with this being that it is actual guitar speakers, correct?
Not according to the OP...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post

1.) [snip]... Unlike going straight into a combo amp, this actually sounds best with Eleven Rack Cabinet modeling left ON because it's really designed for modeling....