Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 02-03-2011, 09:28 AM

Default renaming audio files

hi there

I have a track in PT9 win7 that I renamed BASS. but when I go to the session audio folder, the renaming did not change. it is still called audio2_0_1 something...

I'm not sure if this is possible but, is there a way to rename audio files from pro tools (edit window/region list) and have the renaming occur in the session audio folder as well?

thanx in advane
Mark
Old 02-03-2011, 09:38 AM

Default Re: renaming audio files

The function you are looking for is "consolidate" which lets you rename the new file. You may want to copy first so you have the original.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 02-03-2011, 10:46 AM

Thanx for the reply

when i highlight the region and click consolidate region (alt+shift+3). the region is being automatically named and consolidated. I think I'm missing the pop-up window asking me to rename it. I went to preferences/editing and unchecked "auto name seperated regions". but auto naming is still on
Old 02-03-2011, 12:06 PM

Renaming of files is done in the Regions Bin - double click on a file name, or select several files and choose Rename from the Regions Bin menu. You can highlight regions in tracks and rename them, but the original files won't be renamed that way except where a region is a whole file. The best way to get your files to have the same name as the track is to name the track prior to recording.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 02-03-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendizer View Post
Thanx for the reply

when i highlight the region and click consolidate region (alt+shift+3). the region is being automatically named and consolidated. I think I'm missing the pop-up window asking me to rename it. I went to preferences/editing and unchecked "auto name seperated regions". but auto naming is still on
Double click on it, you will be presented the rename option, but the post above is another way too. Always more than one way to skin the PT cat!

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 02-03-2011, 02:18 PM

thanx for the replies

what I'm trying to do, for example is, when an artist comes to my studio and asks if he can have his songs individual tracks, i want to be able to go to the "sessions audio folder" grab it, throw it on his hard drive, without even turning on PT. i usually delete all unused playlists/audio files and keep only active whole files that where consolidated to the sessions start time. the problem is, the track/region bin file names, are not corresponding with the audio session folder.

The only way I know how to retain track names created in PT is to, open up the session in pro tools, highlight the entire tracks/region bin list and export them as audio files to the artists hard drive. but again, the artist has 10 songs in his album and the bassist would like those individual tracks as well. so, i have to open up all 10 sessions in pro tools, export them twice to eachs hard drive. where all i should be doing is grabbing the audio sessions folder and dragging it to his drive.but i think as daeron pointed out, not possible.
of course you can rename the files straight from the audio sessions folder but, i'm not sure if audio2_0_1 is overhead left or right.

thanx again for the replies
Mark