Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2006, 08:24 PM

Default Strike - Export Midi Problem

I'm having trouble exporting midi from Strike. Firstly I can't drag to the timeline, I have to drag to the desktop and then import the file via the import midi menu, is this normal? Secondly when I do import the file it doesn't go the length of the track, ie, the track is 150 bars long but the imported file only goes 90 bars and is never the same length each time I do it. If anyone can shed some light on this problem it would be much appreciated.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:17 PM

Default Re: Strike - Export Midi Problem

I haven't found good results dragging midi to the timeline either. I get partial results, like just the beginning of the drum performance.

I have to drag the midi from strike to the mix window, then strike creates a midi part for each drum instrument, and the results are much better.

Remember to assign the created tracks to the appropriate strike channels, it looks something like RC345, then just assign that to channel 3 for instance (the first number after "C").

Also, I think hitting stop before and after a performance, then exporting midi may also help.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:07 AM

Can somebody explain how this midi export is suposed to work as I'm quite a bit confused.

From my understanding playing the intros etc is somehow remembered and then can be exported....is this right?

if so ......how do you clear this memory if you want to start again?

I find what i play on the keyboard doesn't seem to be the same as what is exported !!!!!

when the midi files are exported to the timeline and created on different tracks they are all different lengths which makes it quite

a bit of a pain editing these regions......

or have I just got all this wrong?
Old 01-01-2007, 03:33 AM

Thanks for the speedy response, I've just tried your suggestion to press stop before and after playing the track, no luck. It's very strange as it always ends on bar 89 for the kick and snare, the others end at various spots in between the start and bar 89 and there are 150 bars in the song.
I've just transfered everything to another PT session and with 1 bar of stop at the start and end of the Strike control midi track and the result is the same, however I've realised that bar 89 of the imported files is in fact the end of the song, (make sense??}, so in fact I'm missing the first half of the song, not the last half. This is hard to explain in writing!
Is there some limit as to how long a midi file you can export? Has anyone succesfully exported a long midi file ie over 6 minutes? Am I missing something obvious?
Any help would be appreciated.