Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-21-2006, 07:04 PM

Default PCI to PCI-e with new Magma Chasis

Hello, I recently spent thousands to upgrade to HD PCI and then PCI E was released almost right after the upgrade! I cannot afford another full upgrade just to get the same equipment to run on a new PCI e only mac, I am wondering if anyone here is using the PCI to PCIe Expansion chassis available from Magma. It is only 1200 dollars and is much cheaper then upgrading HD2 PCI to PCIe (3500 dollars!)

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks
NK
Old 10-22-2006, 02:20 PM

Default Re: PCI to PCI-e with new Magma Chasis

I'd be really wary of an expansion chassis that wasn't approved and tested by Digidesign. The approved and tested ones have enough trouble as it is. Even if the chassis you're talking about works now, a software change could easily break it.

Your best bet right now is to buy the Digidesign chassis, which gives you the option of a PCI or PCI-e host card.

Lee Blaske
Old 10-24-2006, 12:53 AM

Default Re: PCI to PCI-e with new Magma Chasis

Thanks for the reply,
You say that the approved chassis are having lots of problems? What problems are you aware of in regards to using the PCI HDaccell system with PCI to PCIe chassis?