Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2013, 08:16 AM

Default Loop Recording Disappears

I'm new to ProTools after a 20 year stint with Cubase. Just getting my feet wet with PT 10 and so far everything makes perfect sense except the Loop Recording behavior. Why do I have to keep defining the placement of my loop cycle? For example, I set the Transport Play/Record to loop then define my loop from say bar 2 to 4 by swiping on the Bars/Beats header. Very simple. Cool. Works as expected. But as soon as I place the cursor anywhere in the edit page and click with the mouse the defined loop I just set up disappears. The same thing happens if I define my loop and hit fast forward or rewind. My defined loop is gone. Is this normal? Is there any way to make the loop stay in the Bar/Beat header? I've played around with the Preferences, the Link Timeline and Edit options but can't figure out why this behaves this way.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Loop Recording Disappears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Day View Post
I'm new to ProTools after a 20 year stint with Cubase. Just getting my feet wet with PT 10 and so far everything makes perfect sense except the Loop Recording behavior. Why do I have to keep defining the placement of my loop cycle? For example, I set the Transport Play (and or) Record to loop then define my loop from say bar 2 to 4 by swiping on the Bars/Beats header. Very simple. Cool. Works as expected. But as soon as I place the cursor anywhere in the edit page on track and touch with the mouse the defined loop I just set up disappears. The same thing happens if I define my loop and hit fast forward or rewind. My defined loop is gone. Is this normal? Is there any way to make the loop stay in the Bar/Beat header? I've played around with the Preferences, the Link Timeline and Edit options but can't figure out why this behaves this way.
Hi,

Should be link timeline and edit selection OFF, then the loop will stay selected when clicking around the session.

Also look at dynamic transport in the options menu maybe thats what you're trying to do.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:03 PM

Thanks. I think I'm making progress now that you pointed out the Dynamic Transport. But i seem to have a new problem.
OK....

Dynamic Transport- ON
Swipe Ruler to make a Loop
Put Transport Play Button in Loop mode
Hit Play.....loops as expected
Take Transport Play Button out of Loop
Rewind just before the defined loop area on the Ruler
Hit Play
The timeline enters the defined loop area but stops at "Timeline Selection Out Point"

Why does it stop?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Dynamic Transport- ON
Swipe Ruler to make a Loop
Put Transport Play Button in Loop mode
Hit Play.....loops as expected
Take Transport Play Button out of Loop
Rewind just before the defined loop area on the Ruler
Hit Play
The timeline enters the defined loop area but stops at "Timeline Selection Out Point"

Why does it stop?
You told Pro Tools to play one time from the Play start marker and to the selection end when you turned off loop playback.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
You told Pro Tools to play one time from the Play start marker and to the selection end when you turned off loop playback.
That just seems odd to me. I guess I'm still thinking as a Cubase user. In Cubase you set up your "Cycle" and it's always there. Either on or off. If you turn Cycle off in the transport and hit Play/Record the timeline simply "goes through" the defined loop and doesn't stop till you hit stop in the Transport.
So in PT I can't have a Loop in the Ruler and have the Timeline pass through it?
Old 02-05-2013, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Day View Post
That just seems odd to me. I guess I'm still thinking as a Cubase user. In Cubase you set up your "Cycle" and it's always there. Either on or off. If you turn Cycle off in the transport and hit Play/Record the timeline simply "goes through" the defined loop and doesn't stop till you hit stop in the Transport.
So in PT I can't have a Loop in the Ruler and have the Timeline pass through it?
Sure you can. You make a selection in the ruler, and then you tell PT to either loop, play once through to selection end or ignore the selection.

To ignore the selection I turn off the preference Link timeline and edit selection and Dynamic transport. Now you can click in the timeline ruler to select where to start, or press = and type it in from the numpad, etc. PT will ignore the edit selection.

You can also remove the selection, and just go to Edit (menu) > Restore last selection when needed.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
Sure you can. You make a selection in the ruler, and then you tell PT to either loop, play once through to selection end or ignore the selection.

To ignore the selection I turn off the preference Link timeline and edit selection and Dynamic transport. Now you can click in the timeline ruler to select where to start, or press = and type it in from the numpad, etc. PT will ignore the edit selection.

You can also remove the selection, and just go to Edit (menu) > Restore last selection when needed.
But now I'm right back where I started if you read the original post.
I don't want to have to set up a loop again.
I don't want it disappearing. If I turn off Dynamic Transport and hit play and/or Record the loop that I just set up will vanish.
I guess I don't understand. I'm not telling PT to play once to "Timeline Out Selection Point".
I'm telling PT here's my loop. When the Time Line reaches the Timeline Out Selection Point" either loop or keep playing. But not stop.
This is so different than Cubase. I'll play around with it a little more. Maybe it will sink in.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:44 AM

Check out the options for playback under Edit (menu) > Selection > Play edit/ Play timeline. With timeline and edit selections un-linked, and Dynamic transport on, you can play from an edit point and until you stop manually (no edit selection made), or play the timeline selection.