Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-22-2006, 10:08 AM

Default Introduction Arjen of Audio Ease (Altiverb)

Hi,

I am Arjen and I did most of the impulse response recordings for Altiverb, the convolution reverb on the Mac. (http://www.audioease.com)

As you may have noticed the Windows XP-RTAS version of Altiverb is out now. Some of you will possibly be trying the demo. I'd like to stick around here a bit if you don't mind, see how it goes, perhaps answer questions when they arise.

Right off the bat I can tell you that Altiverb is optimized for hardware buffer sizes of 512 samples on LE systems. Larger is OK, but smaller should be avoided.

Best regards,

Arjen van der Schoot
Audio Ease
Utrecht
the Netherlands
http://www.audioease.com
Old 06-22-2006, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Introduction Arjen of Audio Ease (Altiverb)

Quote:
Hi,

I am Arjen and I did most of the impulse response recordings for Altiverb, the convolution reverb on the Mac. (http://www.audioease.com)

As you may have noticed the Windows XP-RTAS version of Altiverb is out now. Some of you will possibly be trying the demo. I'd like to stick around here a bit if you don't mind, see how it goes, perhaps answer questions when they arise.

Right off the bat I can tell you that Altiverb is optimized for hardware buffer sizes of 512 samples on LE systems. Larger is OK, but smaller should be avoided.

Best regards,

Arjen van der Schoot
Audio Ease
Utrecht
the Netherlands
http://www.audioease.com
Welcome to the DUC Arjen. I didnt even realize there was a demo to check out for RTAS. I'll try and check it out today on one of our Quad Opteron rigs. Is there a reason that smaller buffer sizes should be avoided? Does it effect Altiverb at all? We have found the Quads to be able to do a buffer of 64 with ease, but have yet to try Altiverb at 64.

I'll check it out.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 06-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Space Cabin Audio

I am about to try the demo myself. I have heard that it is an amazing verb. Thanx for the heads up and the willingness to stick around to help out. Don't see that much from developers. Thanx again for the heads up.

Kris
May the music move you
Old 06-22-2006, 01:26 PM

I've been waiting on this. I LOVE Altiverb.......having came from the Mac world. I must admit, the "only optimized for buffer 512 or larger" is a bit disappointing. But I also understand it takes a lot of power to sound THIS good for a convolution. And while it's tempting to want to track ( which take a buffer of 64 on LE for me), I could live with just having it available for mixing ( at 1024).

SO........I just tried the demo on my quad ( dual 265s with 2GB RAM) and PT LE 7.1cs8

I'm not at the studio and don't have any mics or an input source available right now to record with it. But placing 1 Altiverb into an existing session on an aux, here's my intial findings: 32 tracks of audio, no other plugs running.

While I only used it around 10 minutes or so, it seems to run fine ( the demo beeps every few seconds). No problems with installation or operation. Sounds great, although the demo doesn't have the impulses I'm accustomed to. I ran it at all buffer settings; even 64.

So I guess the big question is CPU "usage". At a buffer of 1024, it takes up around 1/4 of my CPU usage meter. At 64, it takes near half.

So if that works with your session or workflow, great. Depending on session size and other plugin needs in our quads that could be managable.Moreso on a hybrid. It just puts us toward that mark we already spoke of in the quadzilla thrad about plugins coming to exist that creep into our newfound excess of power. But I would imagine it'll be pretty severe to not follow the 512 minimum guideline stated by Arjen and Audio Ease on a dual core or less.

But wow...................it sounds so smmooootthhhh.

I've got to get back to work..........I'll tinker with it more later. Someone else post their findings, too.

Old 06-22-2006, 02:01 PM

Altiverb's internal optimizations have now been fixed at 512 sample buffers. It will collect samples 'till it has 512 and then process. This means you get process spikes below 512 sample buffers. This is likely to clear up soon (weeks), but for now it is a reality. We are on it, but didn't want to postpone any longer. So here it is.

Arjen
Old 06-23-2006, 01:44 AM

Do I need an ILok?

Peter
Old 06-23-2006, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Do I need an ILok?

Peter
not for the demo,nor for the full product. The demo runs without authorization, but it gives a short beep every 8 seconds or so. The final product can be authorized by ilok or challenge response.

Arjen
Old 06-23-2006, 02:28 PM

Thank´s!
Old 06-23-2006, 03:25 PM

Sounds GREAT!