Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-03-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Synchronizing Fade Files/Audio Files (Task Window)

This one's stopped me cold. I'm trying some things suggested to me from the Pro Axxess line, but wanted to post in case someone's seen this.

I'm on a G5/dual 2.0, 2 GB RAM, OS 10.3.7, Pro Tools 6.7cs7, HD Accel 2, with two external Granite Digital firewire drives. The drives inside are WD2500's. My session folder is about 50 Gig.

It's a long session, a live concert, with around 100 tracks. I've got the tracks divided up between the two drives.

I've been working really well on this session for about a month. Guitar overdubs, vocals etc. Today the session starts getting sluggish in response, getting short duration beach balls. Then the session will get the spinning beach ball and I'm dead. It never goes away and I have to force quit. This happens about 4 times. We'll restart and I'll do stuff like repair permissions, trash DB folders etc. We'll work for about 15 minutes, system starts to get kludgey, and then the SWOD appears again and I'm dead.

Sorry this is a long description. Anyway, I send the artist home while I try to figure it out. I open up the session again (after doing all the stuff: trash prefs, DB's, repair permissions etc.). It opens fine as always, and so I decide to quit Pro Tools and call tech support. (I realize later that this is the first time today I've actually closed the session without a crash...). Upon trying to close Pro Tools says "there are incomplete tasks, close anyway?". So I hit cancel 'cause I'm wondering "WHAT incomplete tasks??"

In the task window are two folders. One has "Syncronizing Fade Files" and the other one has Synchronizing Audio Files" out to the side. Under "STATUS" the Fade Files line has "Searching for new and modified file" and under "PROGRESS" there is a status bar (not moving) and out to the side of that is 1/xxxxx where xxxxx is a number that is increasing and increasing. So I figure this is why my session has been sluggish, with this in the background.

The number 1/xxxxx keeps increasing util it hits 1/494944. There's no way I have half a million fade files. I did a Get Info on my fade file folder and it contained 39,000 fade files (The session is about 90 minutes long).

When the number hit the above large tally, the spinning wheel of death appears, and never goes away. Nothing else ever changes in the task window.

So this is where I would force quit, and restart the session, only to have this happening in the background everytime without me knowing it.

NOW THEN, I tried Importing Session Data into a new session. Once all the tracks were imported I opened up the task window and the SAME THING was going on.

So I guess the next thing to try is to import everything EXCEPT the fade file folder, and let Pro Tools regenerate them all.

Any ideas out there?
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 04-23-2009, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Synchronizing Fade Files/Audio Files (Task Window)

I'm experience the same issue in Task Manager. However, slightly different...

(PPC, OSX 10.4.9. PT7.4, 2Gigdual, 4GBRam, external FW drives.)

I'll open a big/huge session- then search using 'workspace' window and notice that there's information being updated in the task manager- syncing old audio from sessions that I haven't worked on in months.

This slows down the entire searching process in the 'workspace' window because none of the file heirarchy is updated.

TASK MANAGER and SYNCING needs to be addressed. Was this fixed in CSupdates or PT8?