Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2003, 08:58 AM

Default SAMPLE TANK II-Can we figure this out????

I've been waiting for the dust to settle on the virtual sampler wars for some time now. In fact, it's the only thing that has kept me from upgrading to OSX. As a dedicated Sample Cell user for 6 years now, I was stoked to hear that Sample Tank II would read (not just convert) my huge Sample Cell library and it seems like a great program to boot. It made my decision a no brainer.

Now, a week before I make my big purchase and upgrade to OSX, I hear nothing but negative things about Sample Tank II and very little solid information about the problems being experienced from Digi or IK. I can't afford to risk having problems of this magnitude as my company works at a rediculous pace.

I hope there is some way that we can pool the information about these issues and get some definitive answers about these problems and the time frame we are looking at to remedy them. I'm quite desperate to figure this out and I know there are some clever minds on this board (being a long time lurker) who can help get some concrete data. I've bought many Sample Cell libraries, Sample Cell PCI cards, and Soft Sample Cell copies and honestly, I feel a little entitled to some help with this issue.

Thanks everyone,

Brooklynite

Old 11-25-2003, 09:35 AM

Default Re: SAMPLE TANK II-Can we figure this out????

I am a long time Samplecell user. I was in the same position. I was tired of waiting for NI all my NI software at the best of times was pretty shakey, I often expeienced glitches. IMO I don't like Sampletank. The UI is not really to good for me as Samplecell user. I made the jump and bought Logic 6 & EXS-24 this is everything I always wanted Samplecell to be. IMO there is nothing that even comes close to EXS-24 as a soft sampler. If someone can show me something better I would buy it in a second. It is so fast its hard to believe, audio tracks in Logic & triggered samples in EXS-24 are perfect-zero drift.
With the IAC bus coming back in 10.3 MIDI it won't be long before Logic & Protools will work together in OS X. Till then I switch back and forth between Logic and Protools it's a bit of a pain but it's well worth it.
I always demo software before I buy it, that way you can decide for yourself what works the best.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:46 AM

Just found this on IK multimedia's FAQ page.

Which samples formats is SampleTank able to read/play?

Currenty, SampleTank reads only it's own format and AKAI S1000 / S3000 samples and programs.

Yet on the sampletank homepage, it states

" Import WAV, AIFF, SDII, AKAI®, SampleCell® plus native sounds.
"

Interesting.....
Old 11-25-2003, 11:08 AM

Don't be suprised....I picked up a Sampletank 2 brochure at my local music superstore and couldnt tell you how many missing wordsthere were, typos, repetition of text, etc. Who the hell is proofing this stuff before it goes to press???? It's truly a shame....ST II sounded like great product....looks like they have to up the quality control all around.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:34 AM

I've been using ST2 for a week now and all I can tell is that it is a great Sampler with lots of issues converting SC.
There is one feature that is definitely unbeatable.... Loop Sync, that alone makes ST2 worth buying.
I hope they figure out the SC conversion problem, it would make ST2 the best of them all
Old 01-16-2004, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I've been using ST2 for a week now and all I can tell is that it is a great Sampler with lots of issues converting SC.
There is one feature that is definitely unbeatable.... Loop Sync, that alone makes ST2 worth buying.
I hope they figure out the SC conversion problem, it would make ST2 the best of them all
Marcello: In reading the latest on everybody's soft sampler experiences with PT, you're about the only person who has said something positive about SampleTank 2. Now that you've used it for almost 2 months, have you really been able to get ST2 to work reliably and without problems in PT?
Old 01-17-2004, 11:20 AM

What about basic use of sampletank? If you do not use it to convert anything but just as a sample player with its own sounds. Are there any problems then?

Bob.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:29 AM

Never mind, I did a search and found many answers to my question. Sorry, should have looked first.

Bob.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:57 AM

Hey Brooklynite- we offer quite a nice crossgrade to the Unity samplers from SampleCell and sample tank. Not only can we read SC on the fly, but can also convert to Unity if you prefer. Feel free to doenload our demo and email me with any questions, or post 'em here- I'm around!
Old 01-17-2004, 01:49 PM

I dont know if its a fluke or what. But I used the VST to RTAS converter to convert the Sampletank-VST to RTAS and Sampletank has been usable (not crashed once in 4 hours of use). My experience with Sampletank-RTAS has been less fortunate.

Maybe I should play the lottery today ;=)

I am also successfully using VSamp with Protools now. It has been in use all day with no problem. A very simple softsampler but that what I like about it.