Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 03-24-2017, 09:39 AM

Default Aphex Vintage Aural Exciter

Hello,

I have been using the Waves Aphex Vintage Aural Exciter plugin and this thing is just great!

A lot of people seem to run it: EQ -> Exciter -> Comp

Looking for feedback on different ways that people have used this plug.

I just used it on a hot guitar ( Joe Satriani style playing) and it added that something special to the sound. I don't think this is what it was intended for but damn what a great added touch to the sound.

Any stories about ways you have used this plug?
1-Core/5-Accel
OS X 10.7
196 I/O
Old 03-24-2017, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Aphex Vintage Aural Exciter

Its best to simply try each order and see what happens. My personal preference is to run any "clarity" plugin last so the compressor doesn't undo the intended effect. when I say "clarity" plugin, I'm referring to anything that adds hi-end "air" which would include the aphex, as well as any Pultec model or the Maag EQ's AIR band But just because that's how I like to run, doesn't mean its the best method for you

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-24-2017, 11:20 AM

Great point. I have it last in the guitar signal path most of the time. Yesterday it went:

Guitar DI into the board --> Waves GTR --> Eddie Kramer Guitar --> Aural Exciter.

I was just super impressed with the sound. I'm still on TDM so the delay was not an issue.

Tony
1-Core/5-Accel
OS X 10.7
196 I/O
Old 03-25-2017, 12:20 AM

You should also try using the exciter FIRST plug in the chain, because as your guitar strings age they tend to lose high end crispness, so if dialled right you could bring them back to life with it -- then use normal processing with your "new strings sound"
Old 03-25-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
You should also try using the exciter FIRST plug in the chain, because as your guitar strings age they tend to lose high end crispness, so if dialled right you could bring them back to life with it -- then use normal processing with your "new strings sound"
I'll give it a try and see what I am able to come up with...

Thanks for the feedback.

Tony
1-Core/5-Accel
OS X 10.7
196 I/O
Old 03-25-2017, 07:58 AM

Thanks Augusta for this thread. Love the ideas and have to try this out this weekend The Aural Exciter is a very nice software and worth using much more than we have but as this thread says, the options are making the audio sound cool by using the plugin in various ways so this is a great thread. Keep it going and I will add after trying out some new thoughts tonight.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-25-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
...My personal preference is to run any "clarity" plugin last so the compressor doesn't undo the intended effect. when I say "clarity" plugin, I'm referring to anything that adds hi-end "air" which would include the aphex, as well as any Pultec model or the Maag EQ's AIR band But just because that's how I like to run, doesn't mean its the best method for you
⇧⇧ Great tip Albee. My own "high end air" workflow is done via parallel processing in most cases. I also create my own "clarity/exciter" plug-in chain and channel for better control of the level and frequency range that I want to augment. I find that dynamic EQs, like TDR NOVA, do this quite well also. Trying the Aural Exciter in a parallel processing configuration on guitar can also elicit some great tones.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-26-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
⇧⇧ Great tip Albee. My own "high end air" workflow is done via parallel processing in most cases. I also create my own "clarity/exciter" plug-in chain and channel for better control of the level and frequency range that I want to augment. I find that dynamic EQs, like TDR NOVA, do this quite well also. Trying the Aural Exciter in a parallel processing configuration on guitar can also elicit some great tones.

Shane
Interesting approach, and it reminds me of another(while we are on this subject). If you don't have the Aphex plugin, try this. Add an AUX send to an AUX track. On the AUX track, insert EQ III, enable the hi-pass filter and slide it up to around 3Khz. Follow that with a distortion plugin(AIR Distortion or Sansamp both work) and set for mild overdrive. Bring the AUX fader up slowly to taste. This is a great trick for making something(like a vocal) "pop" when volume doesn't do the trick

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-26-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Interesting approach, and it reminds me of another(while we are on this subject). If you don't have the Aphex plugin, try this. Add an AUX send to an AUX track. On the AUX track, insert EQ III, enable the hi-pass filter and slide it up to around 3Khz. Follow that with a distortion plugin(AIR Distortion or Sansamp both work) and set for mild overdrive. Bring the AUX fader up slowly to taste. This is a great trick for making something(like a vocal) "pop" when volume doesn't do the trick
I like this!
1-Core/5-Accel
OS X 10.7
196 I/O
Old 03-26-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

Shane
I made the patch for the free version if someone wants it:

<TDRNova bandSelected_1="Off" bandActive_1="Off" bandGain_1="0.0" bandQ_1="0.71" bandFreq_1="50" bandType_1="Low S" bandDynActive_1="Off" bandDynThreshold_1="0.0" bandDynRatio_1="2.0" bandDynSplit_1="Off" bandDynAttack_1="0.18" bandDynRelease_1="23" bandSelected_2="Off" bandActive_2="Off" bandGain_2="0.0" bandQ_2="1.00" bandFreq_2="500" bandType_2="Bell" bandDynActive_2="Off" bandDynThreshold_2="0.0" bandDynRatio_2="2.0" bandDynSplit_2="Off" bandDynAttack_2="0.18" bandDynRelease_2="23" bandSelected_3="Off" bandActive_3="Off" bandGain_3="0.0" bandQ_3="1.00" bandFreq_3="1500" bandType_3="Bell" bandDynActive_3="Off" bandDynThreshold_3="0.0" bandDynRatio_3="2.0" bandDynSplit_3="Off" bandDynAttack_3="0.18" bandDynRelease_3="23" bandSelected_4="Off" bandActive_4="On" bandGain_4="12.0" bandQ_4="0.80" bandFreq_4="6000" bandType_4="High S" bandDynActive_4="Off" bandDynThreshold_4="0.0" bandDynRatio_4="2.0" bandDynSplit_4="Off" bandDynAttack_4="0.18" bandDynRelease_4="23" hpSelected_master="Off" hpActive_master="On" hpFreq_master="5300" hpType_master="24dB/oct" lpSelected_master="Off" lpActive_master="Off" lpFreq_master="40000" lpType_master="6dB/oct" bandGain_wide="0.0" bandDynActive_wide="On" bandDynThreshold_wide="-35.0" bandDynRatio_wide="10.0" bandDynAttack_wide="0.10" bandDynRelease_wide="10" bypass_master="Off" delta_master="Off" dryMix_master="94.5" gain_master="17.0" eqAutoGainParam="On" qualityParam="Precise" channelsParam="Stereo" analyzerModeParam="Analyzer: Out" sidechainModeParam="INT SC"/>