Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2015, 10:13 PM

Default Mind Made Up

At this point, I have no interest whatsoever in investing another single dime in avid anything.

The way I see it right now, I'm heavily invested in waves plug-ins, so I have every intention of jumping on board with the whole soundgrid deal, especially with all of the deals they've got going out there right now, that's really a compelling thing right now.

I will probably end up switching to logic or cubase, with both of those I can use my Lynx Auora, and for more I/O I will possibly go with one of the new MOTU boxes, or a UA Apollo.

If I'd only known that all this garbage was happening when I recently upgraded my personal studio last year, I would have made so many different decisions. As it stands right now I flushed $13,000 down the drain last year committing myself to ProTools for what I thought was future proofing myself.

In the last 10 years, I have purchased 17 HD3 systems from Avid.

I have defended this company tooth and nail, going head-to-head with so many other people like myself trying to convince them why PTHD was a great investment. I have convinced so many people to purchase ProTools systems, specifically ProTools HD systems. I cannot believe that I am in a position to despise this company to the degree I do today. I probably should just stop talking about it, I'm sure some of you that pay attention to my post, You are probably tired of me talking about it. Frankly, I don't blame you at this point. I'm just so disappointed, I'm really taking this personally. How can they be so clueless, how can they make decisions that affect people like me, and you, that are perceived as so negative? I just don't get it. I just don't get it.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 03-26-2015, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Mind Made Up

Because you never really leave.....They know that people in here that complain are the first to upgrade.

If avid really took this place seriously it wouldn't be happening again and again......every upgrade since 8 has been a disaster and it keeps happening nothing changes???

I am actually enjoying this....I haven't been in this forum for 3 years and I see the same people complaining.

I hope you do move on....You will feel much better.....I know
Old 03-26-2015, 10:25 PM

Voting with your dollars...Respect!

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 03-26-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAvidSurvive View Post
Because you never really leave.....They know that people in here that complain are the first to upgrade.

If avid really took this place seriously it wouldn't be happening again and again......every upgrade since 8 has been a disaster and it keeps happening nothing changes???

I am actually enjoying this....I haven't been in this forum for 3 years and nothing has changed......
Will I have been mad before, and I understand your point, but for me personally, this is a whole new game changing level.

Quote me right now, if you see me on this forum indicating I'm using any Protools level above 11HD unless they make major concessions to their current strategy, I will send you $200 bucks and you can hold me to that, my word is my bond!

That being said, ProTools 9, and ProTools 10 were outstanding upgrades. PT9 for native users and PT10 for HD users was fantastic!

The only real controversy where there were a lot of screaming people, was ProTools 11 and even then it was that production tool kit users and the ridiculous pricing strategy. Albeit, that was a very big deal, none of that comes close to comparing to where were at right now.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 03-26-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Will I have been mad before, and I understand your point, but for me personally, this is a whole new game changing level.

Quote me right now, if you see me on this forum indicating I'm using any Protools level above 11HD unless they make major concessions to their current strategy, I will send you $200 bucks and you can hold me to that, my word is my bond!
Ok bet!
Old 03-26-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAvidSurvive View Post
Ok bet!
Are you willing to make that two ways? I'll trust you, if you trust me.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:55 PM

Sadly I'm right there with you, Barry. But with me being a bit of a cynic, I kinda saw this coming a few years ago. As soon as HD Native became an option my HD2 system got sold (the cards, 192 interface, and Sync I/O). I kept and upgraded the PTHD license only. A decision which allowed me to avoid having any Avid hardware at all. I told myself then that I would never buy another piece of expensive hardware from Avid because its scheduled obsolescence would be ticking down far sooner than what I thought reasonable. I still work primarily in PT, and will continue to, but looking forward I'm slowly learning Nuendo 6.5 and getting comfortable using it. Unless something drastic changes in the direction of PT/Avid, I'm not investing any more money in it.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:56 PM

Sold my HD rig and went native for similar reasons years and years ago.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
At this point, I have no interest whatsoever in investing another single dime in avid anything.

The way I see it right now, I'm heavily invested in waves plug-ins, so I have every intention of jumping on board with the whole soundgrid deal, especially with all of the deals they've got going out there right now, that's really a compelling thing right now.

I will probably end up switching to logic or cubase, with both of those I can use my Lynx Auora, and for more I/O I will possibly go with one of the new MOTU boxes, or a UA Apollo.

If I'd only known that all this garbage was happening when I recently upgraded my personal studio last year, I would have made so many different decisions. As it stands right now I flushed $13,000 down the drain last year committing myself to ProTools for what I thought was future proofing myself.

I have defended this company tooth and nail, going head-to-head with so many other people like myself trying to convince them why PTHD was a great investment. I have convinced so many people to purchase ProTools systems, specifically ProTools HD systems. I cannot believe that I am in a position to despise this company to the degree I do today. I probably should just stop talking about it, I'm sure some of you that pay attention to my post, You are probably tired of me talking about it. Frankly, I don't blame you at this point. I'm just so disappointed, I'm really taking this personally. How can they be so clueless, how can they make decisions that affect people like me, and you, that are perceived as so negative? I just don't get it. I just don't get it.
Serious question since we are kind of on the topic.

HD systems seemed to last as long as they did because of where computers were at at the time.

However, do you think we are very close to near zero latency tracking even with plugins that will surpass the power of HDX?

Digigrid even makes me think "Is it necessary?"

Albeit 12 channels, I tracked a band last week with a 003, a few Sonnox plugins, and 4 monitor mixes all with PT11 vanilla using my 2012 Macbook Pro and the band didn't have any issues with latency. (Tracked to my LaCie thunderbolt SSD btw)
Old 03-27-2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:

Ditto, never looked back, current fav squeeze, Apollo, UAD & Cubase 8 Pro.