Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-11-2011, 10:41 AM

Default Re: PCI-X to PCIe Exchange is Back (!)

Quote:
Just get back to mixing guys!
Quote:
Seems like every bloody thread here starts with a genuine question or notification and ends in a pissing contest...
I agree.

What harm has been done to any of you by reintroducing this exchange? I can see only good intentions in it, but some of you seem to be interested mostly in expressing vitriol and repeating soap box mantras. I believe Avid responded well to a heap of criticism that was unleashed by many people on the DUC, some of it originating in this forum. You didn't like that they ended the program, you don't like that they brought it back. Some of you don't like native HD, some of you are highly distressed that tdm still exists. If you guys are so insightful about right and wrong technology choices, then get off your duffs and launch a competitive product. It must be easy to do because everyone seems to know exactly how it should work and what features they want.

I am not innocent of flaming or complaining, either, none of us are. But it is nonsense like the direction this thread took that has caused me to reconsider how much time I want to devote to the DUC. I know it doesn't matter, I'm just saying it. This thread isn't even the worst example, by far, it is only the most recent. I also know I am not alone in thinking that way.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:45 AM

To each his own. If it feels like rain to you, carry on.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:46 AM

Look guys, all of you are actually right (and this is probably not the right place for me to post this, but will anyway)

For some things, Protools is an absolute nightmare, and for other things it's absolute magic. Cost-wise, Avid had to make choices, and by no means are they out to screw their customer (that'd be business suicide)

It all depends what job you're doing. For mixing it's great, for post production editing it's not so great anymore, and for gaming work it's pretty much a dog. A lot of our internal folks have swapped over to Nuendo or Logic for that specific reason.

Honestly, from what I know, Avid realizes this. It's a huge company, with a lot of people to report to. Working at a company of 7000+ employees myself I understand how slow things can progress. They are trying however to adapt, but to me, not fast enough.

I'll compare it to a huge cruise-liner boat with a huge elite party, but are forgetting that some guests not into the mass movement have jumped on speed-boats.

Avid probably looks at customers who make up their biggest market-share (and their biggest revenue). That's just good business.
During the last 10 months I've seen Avid try harder to really get in touch with their customers than the previous 10 years. So I applaud them greatly for this.

That said, we have to look at our business as well, the speed at which we operate (which affect the quality we can output).
We have invested a lot of money in Digi/Avid gear (and still have dozens and dozens of interfaces and card stored in a room), but unless Avid makes some software investment in getting the interactive market up to speed, I'm worried they'll be banned soon. (no worries, this has been clearly relayed to the Avid/Digi execs including examples)

So, no bashing from my side, just a sincere hope that Digi stops investing so heavily on the music-side of Protools, and picks up on the departing markets like the interactive industry.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:13 PM

Email from my sales person:

Ebay prices will fall even lower than they are now.

Description
USD Retail

PRO TOOLS|HD 3 ACCEL-PCIe CROSSGRADES
(Does not include HDPack)

Pro Tools|HD 3 Accel to Pro Tools|HD 3 Accel (PCIe)
$3,795.00
Pro Tools|HD 3 to Pro Tools|HD 3 Accel (PCIe)
$4,295.00
Pro Tools|HD 2 Accel to Pro Tools|HD 3 Accel (PCIe)
$4,795.00
Pro Tools|HD 2 to Pro Tools|HD 3 Accel (PCIe)
$5,295.00
Pro Tools|HD 1 to Pro Tools|HD 3 Accel (PCIe)
$5,795.00

PRO TOOLS|HD 2 ACCEL-PCIe CROSSGRADES

Pro Tools|HD 2 Accel to Pro Tools|HD 2 Accel (PCIe)
$2,795.00
Pro Tools|HD 2 to Pro Tools|HD 2 Accel (PCIe)
$3,295.00
Pro Tools|HD 1 to Pro Tools|HD 2 Accel (PCIe)
$3,795.00

PRO TOOLS|HD 1 ACCEL-PCIe CROSSGRADES

Pro Tools|HD 1 to Pro Tools|HD 1 Accel (PCIe)
$1,795.00

Original hardware MUST be returned to Avid within 30 days of Exchange.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:00 PM

It's hard to imagine the used PCI cards going any lower than they are right now. There are a few PC users on this forum who have purchased used HD PCI systems for less than the cost of HD Native. Imagine going from an LE system to an HD 3 for less than $3000 including the interface. The PCI issue only affects the Intel Mac platform. It'll be interesting to see if the used Ebay prices for PCIe cards go down as a result of the exchange.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:50 PM

I think the exchange program keeps prices higher then they would normally be. After the exchange program dropped we saw the prices tank. I would speculate that they will rise a bit.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
So, no bashing from my side, just a sincere hope that Digi stops investing so heavily on the music-side of Protools, and picks up on the departing markets like the interactive industry.
Charles, please elaborate. My work is all TV shows, film and albums. I'm curious what the video game crowd needs...

And by "departing" do you mean recently established?
Old 06-11-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Charles, please elaborate. My work is all TV shows, film and albums. I'm curious what the video game crowd needs...

And by "departing" do you mean recently established?
Hi Reichman (are you really a rich man ? :)

Q2: Departing = leaving, goodbye, so long. "Recently established" would mean a whole other thing.

Q1: The interactive/game industry in general needs audio production tools which work in quantity, allow creation of processing sets, as well as a toolset which promotes and allows organization in the work-flow, neither of which ProTools does.

ex1: Think of 25,000 dialog lines which need to be EQ'd, level'd etc. Most other tools allow bins, faster than real-time re-recording, plugin-set recalls etc.

ex2: think of creating soundeffects, hundreds of them. Where some other software allows multiple "work-sheets", Protools has the old-fashioned 1 time-line (yeah, there are work-around, but not user-friendly or fast ones)

ex3: simple multi-DSP function processing of a file in-place. Other software allows "Processing presets" to be made (i.e. Stack EQ with Flanger with Rbass with L1 etc.). With protools, you have to call up 1 plug-in at a time on Audio-suite (and each switch takes up to 15 seconds).

ex4: no ability to script or automate with external programs. In the Game-industry Protools is only a small part of the tool-chain, and it's one that doesn't talk to anything.

... (the list can go on for a while)

Issue is, once these users use other tools, they continue to work in them, even when doing cinematic/movie/FMV/NIS/SIS production, requiring the full production chain to be changed.

Hope this answered the question

-charles
Old 06-12-2011, 02:08 AM

Reichman...
I'm having a horrible time with 9.0.3 and HD/Native. You seem to have the opposite experience.

I was actually considering going back to TDM.

M.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusoPro View Post
Reichman...
I'm having a horrible time with 9.0.3 and HD/Native. You seem to have the opposite experience.

I was actually considering going back to TDM.

M.
In what way are you having a horrible time with it?