Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-10-2011, 02:40 PM

Default Re: PCI-X to PCIe Exchange is Back (!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
Said it before, will probably say it again.... Avid will only listen if people talk with their feet and move over to something like Nuendo.

Pro Tools 9 was their chance to show they changed and it worked... for about 3 months.

Exactly. This is crap. People, just buy a third party card of your choice (LOTS out there!), buy a really good multichannel A/D/A converter, and be done with it. The converter will never be obsolete, as long as you still like how it sounds. Avid can't tell you that you have to upgrade it, because it communicates with standardized protocols. No more big expensive boxes that Avid can stick you with.

The primary reason the Avid / Digidesign system of upgrading worked in the past is that there USED TO BE a mutual respect between the company and it's customers. They offered FAIR prices for upgrades, and I think we all collectively felt like the company appreciated us, and tried to respond to our needs. Mind you, they were never great about it, but they weren't terrible either. Now, that's over. Avid is just trying to squeeze you as best they can, and are doing so in with a slash and burn attitude. Don't let a company make you feel cornered. Fight back, buy an RME card and an outboard converter or something. My experience has been that the RME stuff is higher quality anyway (just as an example).

Avid needs a good punch to the junk on this. Make em' feel it.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:01 PM

Enough of the Avid bashing and PLEASE don't make me read that "N" word here again Tom. I get it, over and over. Just get back to mixing guys!
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:32 AM

I'm with Marty. Cut the native crusading. I am sure there will be many (who for their reasons) will be glad to upgrade.

Back to mixing....

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer

BAFTA member
IPS member

former Post Production Expert at www.pro-tools-expert.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 06-11-2011, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart P. View Post

Avid needs a good punch to the junk on this. Make em' feel it.
Hey Stuart,
Gonna visit Israel again anytime soon?
I feel at some point what you feel. My main room with HD3 accel PCI and G5 is getting older and I stuck with 7.4 in it. (still love it and prefer over v.9)
And my room B is running native PT HD9 on Quad 8 Core.
I am here and there. But I am not brave enough to switch to the native system in my main room. I think it's still much more reliable vs native most powerful ones.
But here again, why PCIe HD Core Card should cost $3500 and PCI $800? (eBay prices.)
Avid could change this situation by simply exchanging these cards 1 to 1 plus shipping and handling fees.
Why they would do it? Because they would keep HD users like you and me on TDM systems.
I think this is the least thing Avid would want: people start questioning their hardware-software uniqueness.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2022.4 Ultimate ● macOS Mojave 10.14.6
MacPro 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon ● 64 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.5.02 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 06-11-2011, 04:52 AM

mgoorevich, I think you're the only person in the world with a Quad 8-core!

Also, Marty, it's that kind of attitude that makes Avid think they can get away with this. As for the "N" word, sorry, but on a software level, they are way more advanced than Pro Tools and have most, if not all the features PT users have been asking for over the last 10 years.

I know this is an Avid forum, but it's starting to feel a bit like the Pro Tools Mafia in here.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
mgoorevich, I think you're the only person in the world with a Quad 8-core!
......it's starting to feel a bit like the Pro Tools Mafia in here
8 Core of course

Pro Tools Russian mafia with some Italian network connected via serial port on accel card.

Also is "N" compatible with OS Lion? PT HD 10 will.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2022.4 Ultimate ● macOS Mojave 10.14.6
MacPro 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon ● 64 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.5.02 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 06-11-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
8 Core of course

Pro Tools Russian mafia with some Italian network connected via serial port on accel card.

Also is "N" compatible with OS Lion? PT HD 10 will.
Well since Lion hasn't been released yet, almost impossible to say. When will PT 10 be out?

TBH Lion doesn't look that great from an audio perspective.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Also, Marty, it's that kind of attitude that makes Avid think they can get away with this. As for the "N" word, sorry, but on a software level, they are way more advanced than Pro Tools and have most, if not all the features PT users have been asking for over the last 10 years.
I'm sure Nuendo have forums tooif that's your software preference... Seems like every bloody thread here starts with a genuine question or notification and ends in a pissing contest...and yes I'm only stoking a fire but quite frankly it rightly f**ms me off, it's not he information sharing/problem solving place it was
Old 06-11-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
Hey Stuart,
Gonna visit Israel again anytime soon?
Hi Michael!!!!

Hope you're doing well, and that business is good. I have the fondest memories of that trip. Thanks again for hosting me so nicely while I was in your beautiful country. I'm no fan of Israeli foreign policy, but I feel that way about my own country too.

As for a return, I'd love to. Mossad's gotta have a file on me by now though, so you're gonna have to supply the recording gear. That cool?
Old 06-11-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Animation View Post
I'm sure Nuendo have forums...
....where users who feel like their request MUST be implemented, likewise, threaten Steinberg they will switch to Pro Tools