Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-05-2011, 08:27 AM

Default Re: Help me Decide - Soundminer or HD Plus

In my experience, SM v4pro has been very buggy. Was an SM user since v2, v4 has driven me to other solutions.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:24 PM

In what way? I have been using miniminer at home and SM V4 Pro at WB and both haven't given me any real problems.

I know there were issues with PT 8.01 that I experienced, but nothing after that.

Can you elaborate and what did you move to?

LEX
Old 05-06-2011, 06:34 AM

@ WB there are many a day when SoundMiner doesn't like to log into the network. You can't get your license, and it doesn't start. Often it loses the keystrokes to be able to quickly select your database. When I spot regions to tracks, there are times when all of a sudden SM decides to insert itself @ the head of the session instead of the time I placed the cursor at. Usually this one happens as SM is in the process of spotting regions into PT, half way thru it jumps to the head of the session and starts placing regions on top of things I have already cut.

@ WB I'll continue to use SM, but @ home I'm going with Basehead. I don't need a VST rack, I need a fast database. SM doesn't do that for me anymore.

And oh yeah, couple of other things. SM can't remember settings like which column are you sorting by, nor does it recall which sidebar you are using. So every time I launch SM, I have to select the spotting panel and click filename. Most apps remember those types of settings.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
@ WB there are many a day when SoundMiner doesn't like to log into the network. You can't get your license, and it doesn't start. Often it loses the keystrokes to be able to quickly select your database. When I spot regions to tracks, there are times when all of a sudden SM decides to insert itself @ the head of the session instead of the time I placed the cursor at. Usually this one happens as SM is in the process of spotting regions into PT, half way thru it jumps to the head of the session and starts placing regions on top of things I have already cut.

@ WB I'll continue to use SM, but @ home I'm going with Basehead. I don't need a VST rack, I need a fast database. SM doesn't do that for me anymore.

And oh yeah, couple of other things. SM can't remember settings like which column are you sorting by, nor does it recall which sidebar you are using. So every time I launch SM, I have to select the spotting panel and click filename. Most apps remember those types of settings.
You must be using PT 8.01 or something because I've never had a single problem with the above.

6 months on a series, and not one of those issues I had ever run across.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:26 PM

SoundMiner is my main design tool. Pro Tools is just an editor program. I do all my conceiving and weird stuff in SM. It's killer for it.

Sorry you haven't had a good experience. Don't know how WB's server structure is. Could be pretty strange, but I have no idea. Lots of people and facilities run SM with no problems.

It's like my left arm. Couldn't work without out it without a lot of time to learn another program (imho there's really nothing out there that beats its feature set).
Old 06-26-2011, 10:58 AM

Well, I went with v4. Actually, I may go ahead and upgrade to Pro..

HD Plus was nice, 30 demo, but there were some things that were V4 only, so it was an easy choice to go with V4.

Its been solid, and saw my miniminer dB, so I didn't even have to rescan. Yeah!
Old 06-26-2011, 11:34 PM

For me the biggest difference is the fact that you can embed metadata in wav files, so read them everywhere (workspace included) outside soundminer