Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2011, 07:58 AM

Default Re: PT 8.04...Can't Esc/Quit BOUNCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Bounce to disk is designed to be a hands off process. If you need hands ON, the TOM's suggestion is best. Route your entire mix to a new stereo track and put that in record. Now you can actively control the mix as it records to the new track(and you can stop part way thru and continue by using quickpuch). When its all done, just highlight the new stereo region(consolidate it if you had to stop partway thru) and export it.
+ 1 to albee 1952 Avid's bounce feature is by design. The only way to abort is to enter "command + period"/Mac or "Control + Period"/Windows although I haven't bounced in windows in a long time and this is on PT9 which I have aborted just last night on a mac by entering "command + period. This is no bug. BTW in the bounce box it tells you how to abort. EDIT: Okay I understand your situation on windows. As soon as I clicked out of PT to Windows to do something else, Pro Tools stopped responding until the bounce was finished.On a mac the whole computer will freeze until you're finished or if you abort so I get your frustration. I retract.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:23 AM

So you see what I'm talking about Caruso?

It's a bug. For sure

Ye some people like to bounce. Record to stereo track. Not me

It's like saying the road is closed because its full of potholes. So just take the other road.
It will get you there too
Well ye. But the road is still full of potholes
Old 03-18-2011, 12:40 PM

If Avid does consider this a bug it's probably of the lowest possible priority considering it's an easy fix. Not only is turning off Aero part of Win7 optimizations, it's a REQUIRED optimization. Actually, they recommend disabling desktop composition which makes Win7 look like Win95, so turning off Aero by stopping DWM is a workaround.

I'm sure most if not all who are running stable W7 PT rigs have Aero turned off. You really have no basis for complaint if you dont wanna follow the simple optimizations required for W7.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:20 PM

I have a quad i7-950 with 12GB

I should not have to turn off Aero for protools not to crash-freeze during bounce

Do you have to turn off Aero for Sonar or Cubase or Ableton or Sound Forge or Wavelab or Premiere Pro or Photoshop or change Macs overall visual settings for Logic or Digital Performer or Final Cut Pro ??? That's a NO. Because I've used all the above

This is a bug anyway you slice it.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:59 PM

This happens to me about 50% of the time. Not really worth turning aero off though. But I think it is/should be considered a bug. Avid is aware of it, but their answer is to just disable aero. Doubt theyll ever fix it.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 03-18-2011, 08:19 PM

...just turn off Aero........really?

that is a TOTAL Cop Out

just what i need to hear from Pro Pro Pro Pro Tools

this "bug" did not exist in PT7/XP, it does NOW
no other PRO audio/video program has this "bug", that's for sure

if it says "press ESC to cancel" bounce
and you hit ESC and you CAN'T cancel bounce because PT froze your computer

that my friends IS A BUG !!!

just my $.02
Old 03-18-2011, 09:31 PM

Why do you need to quit bounce all the time, are you bouncing to free up tracks or for some other reason?

I was under the impression that the bounce function was to be able to 'Export' a completed mix to another format for general media.

The only time I bounce is when I'm finished the project and want it mixed down to two tracks to Wav, Mp3 etc.. I do final mix with several passes using Automation and by the time I start to bounce something it's already finished so no need to do anything during bounce except go grab a coffee (or a beer).

At the end of bounce...Voila...Finished party time!

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 03-18-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclee View Post
I have a quad i7-950 with 12GB

I should not have to turn off Aero for protools not to crash-freeze during bounce

Do you have to turn off Aero for Sonar or Cubase or Ableton or Sound Forge or Wavelab or Premiere Pro or Photoshop or change Macs overall visual settings for Logic or Digital Performer or Final Cut Pro ??? That's a NO. Because I've used all the above

This is a bug anyway you slice it.
So why are you using ProTools?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 03-18-2011, 09:42 PM

"Why do you need to quit bounce all the time, are you bouncing to free up tracks or for some other reason?"
not to free up tracks, just need to quit bounce whenever i want, which is 20 times/day

why do i use protools?
because it is the industry standard, because i like protools,
i'm just pointing out a very annoying bug...

zedhead,

protools is used for MANY different things,
many use it for music,
i use it mostly for narration mixed with production SFX,

i bounce ALL the time, not usually songs, but clips of narration,
so i may bounce on average 30 clips in a day,

as i bounce, i hear the mix, as i hear, i notice a mistake, or perhaps music too loud, or perhaps big pause in narration, or a heavy breath, or missed an SFX
so i wanna STOP, ESC, QUIT bounce, I CAN'T, why? because i have to wait till the bounce is finished (maybe 10 minutes) because protools decided it's normal to crash and not let you abort bounce

i wanna ESC the bounce, as Pro Tools SAYS i can, but truth is,, i can't,

why do you guys keep asking... why not turn off Aero ? why do you need to bounce, or why not bounce-record to stereo track? or why don't you avoid breathing on the trackball so it does not Freeze pro tools...
i'm not interested in workarounds, i want to be able to QUIT bounce at ANYTIME

is this very basic feature too much to ask for? i guess it is

why not acknowledge that this IS A BUG !!! even though it may NEVER pertain or matter to you , even though there may be other ways (workarounds) to do things ???
Old 03-19-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclee View Post
"Why do you need to quit bounce all the time, are you bouncing to free up tracks or for some other reason?"
not to free up tracks, just need to quit bounce whenever i want, which is 20 times/day

why do i use protools?
because it is the industry standard, because i like protools,
i'm just pointing out a very annoying bug...

zedhead,

protools is used for MANY different things,
many use it for music,
i use it mostly for narration mixed with production SFX,

i bounce ALL the time, not usually songs, but clips of narration,
so i may bounce on average 30 clips in a day,

as i bounce, i hear the mix, as i hear, i notice a mistake, or perhaps music too loud, or perhaps big pause in narration, or a heavy breath, or missed an SFX
so i wanna STOP, ESC, QUIT bounce, I CAN'T, why? because i have to wait till the bounce is finished (maybe 10 minutes) because protools decided it's normal to crash and not let you abort bounce

i wanna ESC the bounce, as Pro Tools SAYS i can, but truth is,, i can't,

why do you guys keep asking... why not turn off Aero ? why do you need to bounce, or why not bounce-record to stereo track? or why don't you avoid breathing on the trackball so it does not Freeze pro tools...
i'm not interested in workarounds, i want to be able to QUIT bounce at ANYTIME

is this very basic feature too much to ask for? i guess it is

why not acknowledge that this IS A BUG !!! even though it may NEVER pertain or matter to you , even though there may be other ways (workarounds) to do things ???
Just to clarify this morning about the situation on windows with me personally that may help you. When I bounced on PT and chose not to do anything else except listen down while it's bouncing, Pro tools didn't freeze up so I could still "control+period" to stop the bounce. Only when I chose to click outside of Pro Tools onto the desktop did PT freeze which then I couldn't abort, so Musiclee, for the time being, just choose to stay inside Pro Tools so you can abort at any point if you hear something off. In the big picture about this, I personally don't have a big problem with Pro Tools not allowing me to do anything else with the computer simply because it seems obvious that when it's time to bounce, you should really focus on the mix at hand. Just my $.02