Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-15-2006, 01:14 PM

Default Does AS preserve BWAV and iXML meta-data?

Hi,

do audio-suite plugs preserve the meta-data and iXML-info in BWAV files when they are processed?
If yes does this happen at the mercy of each plug-mfg or is this a standard for 7.2-compatible plugs?
If not I think it would be very much appreciated for future versions.PT must be meta-data-transparent for the time to come.

Thanks for listening,

Frank.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:29 AM

Default Re: Does AS preserve BWAV and iXML meta-data?

Frank, I was under the impression that when you imported a BWAV-P into ProTools it would immediately strip iXML information from it...

Now, where did I put my Gallery XML reader...
Old 08-16-2006, 03:59 AM

Are you saying that PT7.2 displays all the iXML-info but strips it from the files?
That would be quite crazy. I don´t hope they store that info inside the session-file after striping it from the files. That would be quite short-minded.

frank.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:27 AM

Oh, you're on 7.2 already. I'm still on 6.9.1.

No idea. Did you check with the iXML reader you can get from Gallery? Here.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:00 AM

Thanks but that domain no longer exsists. I guess because metaflow is a discontinued product.

Never mind, I´ll use my iXML-app from soundminer.

frank.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:44 AM

Hello. Frank it doesn't seem that it does. I am watching the CAS seminar right now. Towards the end of the first hour Scott Wood is explaining how you can match audio files from field recorders. He does make the point that AudioSuite processing will get rid of iXML info, because name, timecode, timestamps, etc are now generated from inside the Pro Tools session. So once processed the newly generated AudioSuite file will lose the iXML from the field (or wherever).
Old 08-16-2006, 11:28 AM

Froyo,

thanks for the info. Does he mention anything about other operations that strip the data? Like when I export a BWAV that contains iXML-data, will the exported file (export selected as) contain the info too? Or when a I do a save session in or import tracks with media, will the info be preserved?

thanks again.

f.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:07 PM

Hello Froyo and Frank,

Scott doesn't say that AS-processing is stripping the iXML chunk; within the passage on alternate tracks selection he says that this feature does not function after a region has bees AS processed: because A) its name gets changed and B) its timecode gets changed to session time code.
With something like BWAVLister it should be easy to check if an AS-file still has the iXML chunk; but after what Scott said I'd expect the name and TC fields to reflect the AS process.

Cheers
Florian
Old 08-16-2006, 01:19 PM

I will check what´s in those files after exports, trackimports and AS-processing.

frank.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:53 PM

Hello. Florian yes I realized that after I went back and started watching the other videos. When I answered initially I had just seen that scene and the video was paused there literally. After I rejoined and went all the way through I realized he was talking strictly in the context of the new way of matching files in 7.2. Just for the sake of information, AudioSuite processing and any sort of re-recording that creates a new file (or lays off to tape obviously) will make the file matching unusable.

However yes, he did not actually say that the iXML data was thrown away.