Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2003, 12:35 AM

Default Re: NEW Rosetta 800 -- 8-channel, 24/96k

Quote:
Originally posted by DigiGeek:
As a professional, TRS connectors are not acceptable to me and therfore not an option.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">DigiGeek,

I have a serious question ( not ironical ).
As I just made a patchbay where I linked from XLR ( most of the units I own have both TRS and XLR ) to the TRS patch ( as many studios seem to do, even professionals like broadcast if I´m right on this ) I´m interested to know if you can hear a difference between TRS and XLR connections.

Thanks for your response in advance.

Lalaman
Old 05-04-2003, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaman:
DigiGeek,

I have a serious question ( not ironical ).
As I just made a patchbay where I linked from XLR ( most of the units I own have both TRS and XLR ) to the TRS patch ( as many studios seem to do, even professionals like broadcast if I´m right on this ) I´m interested to know if you can hear a difference between TRS and XLR connections.

Thanks for your response in advance.

Lalaman
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ultimately it depends on the individual cable, the connector and the connection (solder) between the two. My own experience has been that TRS cable off the shelf has not performed as well and generally break more often at the connector. For myself, everything in my studio is XLR.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:36 AM

i have yet to ever see a single analogue modular synth that has XLR connections on the front to patch cables with. hell, i'm not sure i've seen a single hardware synth that has XLR connections. and i'm not sure i've been to a studio that has XLR in its patch bay, but i've been to a hell of a lot of them that use TRS.

but, of course, you are more of a 'pro' than everyone else in the world, so you'd be above that, right.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kmshroom:

but, of course, you are more of a 'pro' than everyone else in the world, so you'd be above that, right.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Now, now, don't get petty just because you were busted talking smack about products you haven't even listened to.

I personally have very little use for MIDI, samplers or synths. Everything I use is wired for AES. The fact is, the majority of pro audio gear in the studios you probably have never been to have XLR connectors. The RME, like it or not, is not a professional piece of gear.

Don't quit your day job.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kmshroom:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, now, don't get petty just because you were busted talking smack about products you haven't even listened to.

I personally have very little use for MIDI, samplers or synths. Everything I use is wired for AES. The fact is, the majority of pro audio gear in the studios you probably have never been to have XLR connectors. The RME, like it or not, is not a professional piece of gear.

Don't quit your day job.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ok yeah, someone contact Digidesign. They're site has somehow been linked up to the Nickelodeon message board.

Seriously, calm down guys.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:31 AM

Well, here's a real low level question... I have the digi002 some ds90a monitors and music is my hobby. I don't know much about converters, but I assume the 800 would accept all my inputs and I'd output a spdif / digital back to the digi002. Is that correct? What kind of a sound difference would it make? Thanks!
Old 05-11-2003, 05:52 PM

How would you access the ins and outs from the DSUB? Is it a snake?

Quote:
I have spoken with Apogee in depth about this product and they admit that this new Rosetta blows away most everything else they have released to date. Just wait and see what they do next.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Come on... Don't leave us hangin like that! We wanna know too. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]