Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2003, 07:56 PM

Default Re: ... S/PDIF drag

I tried it today. Uninstalled wave driver, reinstalled it and changed the default setting in the installation routine from analog to S/PDIF lightpipe.
Indeed it now stays on S/PDIF.
But in PT then I received buffer error messages all the time seconds after hitting the red button. Had a look into PT settings, time allocation was set to open ended, limited it to 30 minutes; didnīt help. Tried unchecking running in background and next encreasing buffer size but that didnīt help too. Checked obligatory windows settings, obviously nothing - which of I looked at - had changed.
So what improved a bit finally was disabling wave driver, but buffer messages still occured from time to time.
After session work tried out if a change in hardware setup would affect wave driver. No chance to find out, because even while set back to S/PDIF before shutting down PT the PC ...
crashed. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

At least one thing is true: You can change wave drivers permanent setting in its installation routine.

Digi, here is some research investigation for you if interested.

Lalaman
Old 04-24-2003, 05:37 AM

For the record.

Yesterday it worked ok even set back to 128 buffer. No error messages and as wave driver is permanently set to none analog, no crash when closing PT. So far very promising.

Only when I opened the eighth heavy plugin buffer- and CPU messages returned.
This was at 25 audio tracks, 31 midi and 8 aux.
I donīt know though if the error messages then mean low performance or if it is just what one normally should expect with an AMD 1800 CPU and currently 1024 MB of RAM.

You tell me please.

Lalaman
Old 04-24-2003, 08:12 AM

I am more confused than ever, my settings hold even when I reboot and I have yet to see the unit crash with the changes to the Wave Driver.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the ACPI or Standard PC setting or a recommended tweak for digital audio?
Old 04-24-2003, 09:38 AM

I believe the standard evil part in a PC is the graphic card, as manufacturers of it make good on performance lack by configuring their cards in a way that they interfere into other PCI busses whenever needed. When you add demanding conductment to the PC work this graphic mess issue is just intensified. Thats why almost any prob is to be observed in conjunction with graphical moves.
If they werenīt building their stuff in such an underhanded way audio PCs as I assume would be flying since over 5 years already.

Are you on ACPI or standard PC, Skip?
Old 04-24-2003, 01:18 PM

I am using ACPI gave up on Standard PC with XP Home, the additional interrupts alleviate a lot of problems.
This system has never crashed other than me experimenting with the SPDIF thing trying to figure out a resolution.
Totally gave up on D-verb which greatly increases the stability of the P4's.
USB is enable since I have several iLok related plugs, serial mouse, ps1 keyboard, 3 IDE drives, 1 X-project firewire drive, SCSI ZIP, now only 1 SCSI drive and 3 SCSI burners in a RAID.
Matrox G450 (I think it's the 32mb version)running duals, Advansys SCSI card
One other thing I didn't think about is my PT installation is from the CDrom not download, not sure it makes a difference but worth adding.
Most hardware now is more open ended give or take modems and network cards those two devices still like to try and force their interrupts.
Another thing that helped me with config is to put all 3 of my audio interfaces in the machine prior to installing the O.S.
The PCI-324,PCI-822 and DIGI001 all require that software be installed before they can be recognized so XP just treats them as 3 unknown audio devices with separate interrupts until the software installed.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Another thing that helped me with config is to put all 3 of my audio interfaces in the machine prior to installing the O.S.
The PCI-324,PCI-822 and DIGI001 all require that software be installed before they can be recognized so XP just treats them as 3 unknown audio devices with separate interrupts until the software installed.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

How did you get 001 to be called then when installing LE? Did you use the "hardware is already installed" option in device manager?

PS: Today reghosted to an earlier OS state and redid the wave driver reinstall for permanent setting. This time Pt started with hardware setup on ADAT and another time with S/PDIF and internal clock ... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
But after all, still didnīt crash when being closed.
Old 04-25-2003, 05:13 AM

You still install the software the same way when you are prompted for a driver, but if you don't install it then you can see how XP has dealt with the interfaces.
You ccould still just bring the install new driver and install PT with that open.
Digi's way of doing it was to reduce confusion and incident.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:19 AM

5.3.1 = sp/dif drag
6.1 = bounce to disc drag
7.0 = ???

[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2003, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by freakofnature:
5.3.1 = sp/dif drag
6.1 = bounce to disc drag
7.0 = ???

[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

will digi ever get it right?