Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 12-04-2021, 01:55 PM

Default Really strange behavior - no playback

I've been using 2021.10 since it came out with no problems until yesterday. Now I just started having some really odd behavior. If I highlight a section (or just go to the beginning) and hit play nothing happens for 3-4 seconds. Then the transport begins as if it's playing but no sound comes out and the display moves about 1/8 inch every 5 seconds (and I'm fully zoomed out just so that every bar is shown). If I hit stop the transport continues anywhere from 3-7 seconds and then stops. I was using it for a few hours today and it started suddenly, so nothing changed between the time it was working and the time it stopped. I've tried uninstalling PT and re-installing and that hasn't helped. I did get a new interface yesterday (moved from a Focusrite Scarlet 4i4 to a Scarlett+ 2Pre, but I even tried uninstalling Focusrite Control and going back to the old interface. No help.)

Any ideas?

Windows 10 (all up to date)
Lenovo IdeaCentre T540-15ICK G
Intel Core i9
32GB Ram
Focusrite Clarett+ 2Pre
Buffer size 64 Samples
Cache size 6GB
Low latency monitoring on
All plugins of consequence made inactive
Old 12-04-2021, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Really strange behavior - no playback

My first guess is to delete preferences, especially since you installed and uninstalled the new Focusrite driver.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 12-04-2021, 03:24 PM

Interesting - if I open a different (older finished session) with all of the plug-ins enabled (mostly Izotope) I can play no problem but as soon as I go into learning mode on one of the plug-ins it freezes up the same way. I'm uninstalling all Izotope plug-ins now and will then re-install.
Old 12-04-2021, 04:30 PM

Izohope.... sigh.
Old 12-04-2021, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
My first guess is to delete preferences, especially since you installed and uninstalled the new Focusrite driver.
Yes - delete PT prefs! Also, since you've been doing installs/un-installs, do a CCleaner reg clean pass to clean out left over reg junk. Lastly, you might have a corrupt session so make a new session & do an import session data.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 12-04-2021, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Yes - delete PT prefs! Also, since you've been doing installs/un-installs, do a CCleaner reg clean pass to clean out left over reg junk. Lastly, you might have a corrupt session so make a new session & do an import session data.

I tried deleting prefs and it works for a while and then screws up again. I use Revo Uninstaller so that cleans the registry when you do an uninstall, but I’ll try CCleaner to see if it finds anything else.

I think I’ve narrowed this down to Izotope Nectar. I can do the learning wizards in all of the other plugins (including Ozone their biggest one) but when I run the wizard in Nectar this happens. I’ve opened a case with Izotope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2021, 06:01 PM

If trashing prefs and stuff comes back that really tells you something is corrupting preferences... or some valid prefs entry is messing up other stuff, and after checking again everything is supposed to be compatible it's time to contact Izotope support. Even if it turns out to be an underlying problem in Pro Tools start with Izotope support, you'll likely make more headway there, at least in them mitigating a problem.

I would test to see if you can reproduce this on other sessions, when starting from a clean empty session... sometimes a corrupt session cause other things to wig out.

If you wanted to be super nice to Izotope support, see if you can track this down to trashing one particular prefs file and give them a before a copy of that file that causes problems.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
If trashing prefs and stuff comes back that really tells you something is corrupting preferences... or some valid prefs entry is messing up other stuff, and after checking again everything is supposed to be compatible it's time to contact Izotope support. Even if it turns out to be an underlying problem in Pro Tools start with Izotope support, you'll likely make more headway there, at least in them mitigating a problem.

I would test to see if you can reproduce this on other sessions, when starting from a clean empty session... sometimes a corrupt session cause other things to wig out.

If you wanted to be super nice to Izotope support, see if you can track this down to trashing one particular prefs file and give them a before a copy of that file that causes problems.

Thanks for the tips! After deleting prefs folder I created a new session, imported a .wav and was able to play it no problem. I then put Nectar on the track and put it into “learn” mode and it froze. Anything opened after that point wouldn’t play correctly. I made a copy of the prefs folder before and after, but there were several files that changed so I just zipped up both folders and sent them to Izotope. There are only a handful of files there so hopefully they’ll be able to figure something out.

I also opened a case with Avid, but it could be weeks before I hear back from them. Izotope will likely respond on Monday.

Thanks again!

Old 12-04-2021, 08:59 PM

So you have found your problem. It is not PT software, it is your plugin. End of story.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
So you have found your problem. It is not PT software, it is your plugin. End of story.

Yeah - sure seems like it. But why has that plug-in worked fine for the past 4 months? Same version of both PT and Izotope. The only thing that has changed is my interface which should have no bearing on this.

I just hope Izotope is able to figure it out without trying to blame PT (assuming it’s an Izotope issue). They’re support has been pretty good so far. Fingers crossed…