Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-30-2006, 12:45 PM

Default Digi TS: Problem w/current Digi Core Audio Manager

I actually posted this problem last week and never got a single response so I did some trouble-shooting myself. Here's what I have found:

After having to do a total OS 10.4.7/PT 7.2 clean reinstall, I noticed the behavior of the Digi Core Audio Manager was having strange effects on the Apps on the Mac(G4 Dual 1Ghz MDD). Examples: When clicking on System Preferences in the Dock, Digi Core Audio Manager would launch(this is not normal behavior, which in turn caused the spinning beach ball syndrome). After about 30 seconds, I was able to click "Quit" on the Digi CAM which would then display a "quit warning" message. This behavior was also the same for Apps like iTunes, QuickTime, and WMV. The same also applied to launching the Sound preference or Apple's Audio Midi Setup. These issues are with the G4 on and Pro Tools(and I/O) totally shut down.

I did another total clean reinstall of OS 10.4.7 and PT 7.2 but had same results. This system did not behave this way before having to do the initial clean reinstall.

I then remembered that I had initially installed PT 7.2 over the last version of 7.1X. So with that, I went ahead this morning and reinstalled Mac OS 10.4.0 and Pro Tools 7.0. I then tested a saved session from a drive, which ran fine. After quiting Pro Tools, I then launched iTunes(w/192 I/O still on going through speakers). I had to go into "Sound" in system prefs and switch output to Digi HD HW. Afterwards, Digi CAM self-launched and I could hear audio through system. So this seemed to be running well. Now it was time to try it with the 192 I/O powered off. After shutting dowm and restarting just the G4 this time, I tried launching iTunes again, which it did. When hitting play after selecting a song, the Digi CAM launched and then I could hear the music playing through the G4, as it did before these problems started. After quiting iTunes, I quit Digi CAM which it did nicely without the "spinning beach ball" or any "warning-quit" messages. I then checked out the settings in the Sound preferences. The only options available were internal for both the input and output.

So this tells me that the Digi Core Audio Manager was updated at some point after 7.0 which makes it non-compatible/problematic with Mac OS 10.4.x. This is why I stared having these issues after doing a "clean" reinstall to current versions of both. I lose the compatible version at some point if I don't start at the beginning.

I'm surprised no one has posted similar issues but unless you have to do a reinstall to the current versions, you probably won't experience this(or atleast maybe not to this degree). All I know is that unless Digi fixes the bug in the Core Audio Manager, I don't know how much higher I can update my Mac OS(currently at 10.4.0) and Pro Tools(currently at 7.0).

Old 09-30-2006, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Digi TS: Problem w/current Digi Core Audio Manager

More findings:

OK, I really want to find out the resposible party here, Apple or Digi, so I took the plunge and installed the OS 10.4.6 combo update. Install went fine. All Apple Apps are working fine with the Digi Core Audio Manager from version 7.0.

So Digi hosed the CAM.

I'm going to see how high a version number I can get Pro Tools up to prior to 7.2 before I get the "bad" CAM. I'm very reluctant at this point(nothing better than killing a beautiful Saturday afternoon on this stuff!!!).
Old 09-30-2006, 02:36 PM

I was having something similar happening, CAM launching at inappropriate times (I never use it so all times are inappropriate). By opening the CAM with out any other apps running and setting it to 48/24 (what my sessions run at) it stopped opening??? Have no idea why.
10.4.7 1.24DP MDD G4 PT7.2 cs1
Old 09-30-2006, 03:19 PM

I found the problem(after many cs updates!) It's actually the Core Audio Manager from 7.2 For whatever reason, it now places the Digi HD HW into the Sound pref even when the 192 I/Os are off and not running PTs. This is what's different from 7.0 up to 7.1cs9.

This seems to me like an issue in need of a serious fix. I am able to install/run/use PT 7.2 but I didn't install 7.2's CAM. It's still 7.1's. This way, there's no problems.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Avid

Please try trashing the following files from MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences:

com.digidesign.coreaudiomanager.plist
DAE Prefs
DigiSetup.OSX

Empty the trash and restart - do you still have the same problem?

Also let us know what files and version numbers are in the folder located at MacHD>Library>Audio>Plug-ins>HAL.