How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Tape Drift

I have an Mbox. Therefore, 2 in, 2 out.

Recently, a friend asked if I could transfer tracks from his reel-to-reel 8 track to Pro Tools.

Naturally, since I can only do 2 tracks at a time, there will be tape drift between tracks.

What's the best way to deal with this? Any tips on correcting drift between tracks?
Snow Leopard
ProTools 9.0.6
Digirack 003
Old 05-09-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Tape Drift

Here's some ideas:

1. Record some transients on all 8 tracks (hand claps, snare drum, whatever). Record the transients at the beginning of the tape, in between songs (if possible), and at the end of the tape. Use these to nudge the tracks after importing them.

2. Borrow a friend's 001 or 002 for a few hours, make some AIFF files (8 tracks all at once), and then create a session with your mBox and import the audio.

Is there a click track on the tape? If so, you could use the track with the click to line things up. Unless this partcular 8-track tape machine is VERY NICE, I think it'll sound warbly no matter what you do, if you're only recording two tracks at a time.

If, however, two tracks is your only option, then make sure the room you're in is VERY stable, and don't move a muscle.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Tape Drift

I wouldn't bother doing it two at a time, it'll take four times as long just to record, and you can spend days timestretching and editing it to fit together nicely. Just go rent a room for an hour. You can probably find someone who'll do it after-hours (well, ok, before-hours) on a 002 (with better sound quality) for the price of a six-pack. Or maybe just the six-pack itself!
Try posting on Craigslist in your city.
-Olaf