Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2005, 06:38 AM

Default Drive gone missing!! Help!

Hi,

I had a guy in the studio yesterday. He accidentally erazed some audio files using the eraze function in the clear selected option. He didn't realize this for some hours.
I tried to recover the files using Norton utilities (uneraze and volume recover.) Unfortunately I made matters worse. The drive no longer appears on the desktop. The system does recognize the drive is connected but It doesn't mount.
How can I get the drive to mount again and have I any real chance of getting my files back?

This is on an OS9.22 system with PT 5.

Thanks for your help
Old 05-22-2005, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Drive gone missing!! Help!

Hi,

I can't vouch for what unerase will do, but Norton Disk Doctor (in Norton Utilities) has brought drives back to life several times for me. Often a B-Tree correction that, once fixed makes the drive fine again. As far as the missing files go, I don't know. If you can get the drive remounted after Norton, maybe back it all up to another drive, then try the unerase again (on the original drive).

Of course when things get into that realm, it's all touch and go, but Norton has definitely helped me. Hope it works out.

- proxy
Old 05-22-2005, 10:34 AM

What kind of drive wont mount? (Ide,Fire Wire)

If fire wire, what box is it in? (Lacie, Maccally)
Old 05-22-2005, 02:23 PM

This is a second internal IDE drive
Old 05-22-2005, 03:02 PM

Try Disk Warrior
Old 05-22-2005, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the replies.
Disk warrior won't work unless the drive is mounted which is my first problem. If I could mount the drive I might have some chance of getting the files back.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:19 PM

Agreed - Try Disk Doctor.

Do you have an OSX machine you can put this drive into - if so, Disk Utility or Tech Tool Pro will no doubt do a good job.

I'd be surprised though if Disk Doctor doesn't do it.

As for unerasing your files - As it was done from within PT, I think realistically speaking, they've gone. Do you always have Norton active? I havent used os9 actively for a while but the way I remember it working is that you had to have Norton active (like auto-protect - is that what it was called?) when you accidentally erased your files.

Good luck with it
Old 05-23-2005, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the help so far.
I tried the demo of "data rescue" It only came up with the drive and a few other files with really old dates.
The drive has 3 partitions about about 14gigs full of audio files (some big ones) and PT sessions. None of these show up. Also the software could not automatically detect the size of so called "ad blocks" so you have to enter values manually. I've read the help guide but it's still too complicated for me. Has anyone some experience of this program and some advise on these settings?

Thanks

Any other software worth trying?
Old 05-23-2005, 10:50 AM

OS 9 Try using update/re-install driver with FWB Hard Disk Toolkit.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:54 AM

use DISKWARRIOR version 3.xx for OSX.......not version 2.xx for OS 9......boot from the disk.....it will boot an OS 9.xx drive...it takes a few minutes.......99.9% of the time you should be able to see your drive......version 2.xx DiskWarrior won't see the drive.....rebuild