Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 11-08-2021, 11:50 AM

Default Final thoughts requested on S1...

I'm thinking seriously about buying an S1, but I need a bit more confirmation that it's something more than just an alternative to using a keyboard and mouse to move faders and plugin controls. Recent articles and reviews (e.g. in Sound on Sound, etc.) are struggling to fully convince me otherwise...any thoughts? Thank you!
iMac (2020: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, 32GB), OSX 13.1 (Ventura), Pro Tools 2024, UAD Apollo 8, UAD-2 Quad Satellite DSP Accelerator, 2 x Lacie Thunderbolt SSD (250GB), Seagate Backup Plus Drive (4TB).
Old 11-08-2021, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Final thoughts requested on S1...

What else do you WANT to happen with S1? Certainly faders, plugin control and automation are major aspects. Total honesty: if you are used to doing all with mouse and keyboard, you will need to make a significant effort to learn new habits(IOW, if you are unwilling to master a different work flow, then you may not get your money's worth). I discovered this about myself after owning a DIGI002 and then a DIGI003. I always had the surface on my left side, but really only used the transport function. When I move to HD/Native, I worried I would miss the surface, but really didn't(I even bought an Artist Mix, but it was a waste of money for me). All I really needed(and still have) is my original Presonus Faderport. This doesn't mean I don't WANT an S1(or 2 or 3), it just means I really don't NEED one

BTW, the reason I stay with the old Faderport instead of a new one; the new one omitted the buttons to select between MIX and EDIT windows

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-08-2021, 06:00 PM

Thanks, very helpful, yes, I'm still not convinced I NEED it!
iMac (2020: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, 32GB), OSX 13.1 (Ventura), Pro Tools 2024, UAD Apollo 8, UAD-2 Quad Satellite DSP Accelerator, 2 x Lacie Thunderbolt SSD (250GB), Seagate Backup Plus Drive (4TB).
Old 11-18-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briaboy View Post
I'm thinking seriously about buying an S1, but I need a bit more confirmation that it's something more than just an alternative to using a keyboard and mouse to move faders and plugin controls. Recent articles and reviews (e.g. in Sound on Sound, etc.) are struggling to fully convince me otherwise...any thoughts? Thank you!
If you're not sure why you need an S1 why are you thinking about buying one? Who says you need one?

To answer your question: No, an S1 is nothing more than an alternative to using a mouse and keyboard to move faders and plugin controls. I own 3 S1s and a Dock because I came up working on consoles, and doing rough balances on a large session such as an orchestra or a live band with just a mouse is slow and cumbersome for me. Having 24 faders speeds up my workflow a lot and I'd be hesitant to work without it.

But I am a semi-old guy, and it seems to me most of the young engineers coming up in the DAW era do just fine with a mouse. More power to them, less equipment to purchase.

If you already have a good workflow with mouse and keyboard I think readjusting to using faders is a step backward and not something I would consider personally.
I don't think it will make your life easier or your mixes better. But that's just me.