Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2019, 12:40 AM

Default Re: HDX card still only shows 256 tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by iigunzent View Post
I can’t help but to ask..what kind of sessions are you guys doing where you need upwards of 256 tracks?
Surround kind of sessions eat voices for breakfast
Old 05-13-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
I can’t help but to ask..what kind of sessions are you guys doing where you need upwards of 256 tracks? I guess i could understand there may be some movie stuff (which I’ve never done) that may find it to be necessary and if that’s what you’re doing I’ll understand..but I’ve never done a music session with anywhere close to that many tracks..I’d love to hear what you guys are doing with 200 tracks on a music session of any kind.
Orchestral sessions with overdubs, mixing in-the-box and recording multiple formats (stereo, 5.1, 7.1...) into the same session. That eats up voices. And sometimes music sessions happen at 96k, so getting all of that into 128 voices on a native system is hard.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Orchestral sessions with overdubs, mixing in-the-box and recording multiple formats (stereo, 5.1, 7.1...) into the same session. That eats up voices. And sometimes music sessions happen at 96k, so getting all of that into 128 voices on a native system is hard.
That makes sense. It’s a matter of workflow. When i wanna go between formats i just always naturally started a new session. I’ve never worked on a 7.1 session though. But between 5.1 and Stereo I’ve always just started on a stereo session. And when i wanted to go to 5.1 i just created a new session and imported. It’s an extra few steps, but it’s always worked for me. I never even thought to do it in the same session. Didn’t even know it was possible. Lol I’d love to be able to sit in with somebody and learn that one.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
between 5.1 and Stereo I’ve always just started on a stereo session. And when i wanted to go to 5.1 i just created a new session and imported. It’s an extra few steps, but it’s always worked for me. I never even thought to do it in the same session. Didn’t even know it was possible. Lol I’d love to be able to sit in with somebody and learn that one.
The quick answer: there are two legit ways to do it.

1. Do everything at the highest track width in your session, so everything is 5.1, for example. Then duplicate your mix and stem busses and add downmix plug-ins to make stereo mixes and stems. Very easy. Sounds fine in most circumstances.

2. Run the alternate mixes from sends on your tracks. So the entire stereo mix would run off "MIX 2.0" or whatever. Not as easy, but sonically more flexible since you can tweak level and pan independently of the 5.1 mix.

The biggest reason to work this way is that any tweak you make to the mix or the edit updates all output versions simultaneously. Clients expect this.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:21 AM

Ok thanks. I’ll try it out when i get some time later on this week. What downsizing plugs are you using? I have DTX neutral but I’ve never really figured out how to use it correctly.
Quote:
The quick answer: there are two legit ways to do it.

1. Do everything at the highest track width in your session, so everything is 5.1, for example. Then duplicate your mix and stem busses and add downmix plug-ins to make stereo mixes and stems. Very easy. Sounds fine in most circumstances.

2. Run the alternate mixes from sends on your tracks. So the entire stereo mix would run off "MIX 2.0" or whatever. Not as easy, but sonically more flexible since you can tweak level and pan independently of the 5.1 mix.

The biggest reason to work this way is that any tweak you make to the mix or the edit updates all output versions simultaneously. Clients expect this.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Ok thanks. I’ll try it out when i get some time later on this week. What downsizing plugs are you using? I have DTX neutral but I’ve never really figured out how to use it correctly.
We should start a new thread. Apologies to the OP.

I use Neyrinck and Avid downmixers. Neyrinck to be compatible with ye olde Dolby LtRt spec sheets. With the exception of Dolby Atmos, I haven't experimented with the new generation of high-tech downmixers yet.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:00 AM

this is funny. The suits promising **** the coders cant make happen. If this doesnt work then give us a "native mode' and give us as many voice packs as we have hdx cards in the system.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
this is funny. The suits promising **** the coders cant make happen. If this doesnt work then give us a "native mode' and give us as many voice packs as we have hdx cards in the system.
The native mode that we asked for years ago is theoretically Avid Audio Server. But the handful of times I've tried to use it on an HDX system, I couldn't get it going. Is anyone successfully using PT in this mode on HDX hardware?
Old 05-14-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
The native mode that we asked for years ago is theoretically Avid Audio Server. But the handful of times I've tried to use it on an HDX system, I couldn't get it going. Is anyone successfully using PT in this mode on HDX hardware?
oh that thing has a purpose aside from sending full scale digital noise to my speakers? I disable it every time I update.

Well if it has that purpose and we can see our attached hardware then just give us voice packs based on how many hdx cards we have. Consider them dongles.

I mean I never needed a second hdx card anyhow and only spent 3k for 256 more voices. So hook it up.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:22 AM

good job team. Good award.