Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2014, 04:30 PM

Default Pro Tools 11 (w/ Support Plan) transfer of ownership

Asked this on here before, but didn't get an official response. If I were to purchase the latest PT 11 (w/ support) and then later sell my license(ilok), are the remaining days of support transferable to the person I sold it to?
Old 11-24-2014, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 (w/ Support Plan) transfer of ownership

nope no transfer of support plans.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Rey View Post
Asked this on here before, but didn't get an official response. If I were to purchase the latest PT 11 (w/ support) and then later sell my license(ilok), are the remaining days of support transferable to the person I sold it to?
In amongst many questions that have been asked, and not responded to, and, I believe, never will be.

I believe roberts is correct though.

The support plan will be tied to your Avid Account, and so it is not transferable, as that account is tied to you.

More importantly still though, as I've discussed extensively in the main 'new licensing' thread, this has a longer term implication, and that is ….

This change effectively kills off the 2nd hand market for PT licences from the end of 2015.

Why, well because any licence after that date which is 'orphaned' from and active support plan will no longer be upgradable, it will be frozen at the last version of PT that the licence unlocks.

The value of the licence is therefore diminished, because anyone buying it is buying into a dead end, stuck at that version.

The only way I can see of getting around that will be come the day when you retire from PT altogether, where you could, in effect, provide the buyer with your Avid account login details, so that they, to all intents and purposes, become you.

Again, though, not all that attractive an option for buyer or seller.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 11-25-2014, 09:28 PM

OTH I would not expect any "groundbreaking" or "need to have features" based on what has been offered in the past. PT 10 the only feature really was clip gain and channel strip PI, PT 11 was 64 bit.
Pro tools 8 was the last version that came out with a huge list of features, of course that's when Avid still had a for real R&D dept. too.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchwood Studios View Post
OTH I would not expect any "groundbreaking" or "need to have features" based on what has been offered in the past. PT 10 the only feature really was clip gain and channel strip PI, PT 11 was 64 bit.

Pro tools 8 was the last version that came out with a huge list of features, of course that's when Avid still had a for real R&D dept. too.

I agree with what you have stated but I think ADC came out with version 9

But this is the main problem with going to a subscription - there is no way we can guarantee any new features aside from (hopefully) it will work with the latest version of apples os

But look at version 11 / 17 months out and they are still fixing bugs
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:33 PM

well what really sick is Slate Raven software there are some really cool features that Avid could just copy and implement them into pro tools it's seems crazy that can't even do that. Many of those things that Slate has come up should have been in PT years ago.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchwood Studios View Post
Really? I remember at least:

- AAX plugin format
- realtime fades
- 32bit float
- interleaved files
- mixed audio file formats

Nothing groundbreaking for sure, but I've become so used to all of these I just mentioned, it feels stupid to take a look at PT8 sessions now.

HD10 came with Disc Cache, which truly is a groundbreaking killer feature. But that's not in the regular version so most users wouldn't know how huge that is.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Really? I remember at least:

- AAX plugin format
- realtime fades
- 32bit float
- interleaved files
- mixed audio file formats
- offline bounce
Old 11-27-2014, 02:13 AM

PT10?
Old 11-27-2014, 01:31 PM

9 also incorporated as standard a few things that were paid options before, notably OMF/AAF import/export and MP3 export option.

The OMF/AAF feature was the number 1 reason for me upgrading to CPTK from MPTK2.

Not forgetting, of course, the freedom to use 3rd party hardware.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)