Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 10:41 AM

Default PTMP7.3 WITH PROJECT MIX. LOTS OF DIGITAL DISTORTION?

HI IVE GOT PTMP 7.3, PROJECT MIX I/O,REASON AND GUITAR RIG CONNECTED. BUT GETTING SLOW REACTION TIMES TO BUTTONS PRESSED ON PROJECT MIX ETC. ALSO GETTING DIGITAL DISTORTION AS WELL.
MY PC IS A AMD SEMPRON 3400 2GHTZ. 1.5GB RAM. 540 GB HDD. WINS XP ( SPK2)
CAN ANYBODY ADVICE ON WHAT BETTER CPU & M/BOARD TO BUY.IVE GOT UP TO £250 TO SPEND. THANK YOU
Old 07-17-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Re: PTMP7.3 WITH PROJECT MIX. LOTS OF DIGITAL DISTORTION?

You don't need to shout.

Yeah, sempron processors are not supported or recommended and most likely what is causing our problems. You also only list one hard drive. That's an issue as well. Pro Tools needs it's sessions to be run on a separate physical drive.

As for recommendations under £250, that's really hard to say.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 07-24-2007, 09:48 AM

Thanks for the feedback 'spkguitar'.Didn't realise that i was shouting,
I am doing research into cpu's. Looking at the Intel Core 2 Quad processor.I've got £200 for the cpu alone, £100 for the motherboard.
As with running PTMP7.3 and Reason3 and Guitar Rig2 the last thing I want is slow processing or distortion when recording.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:20 AM

Just a note; Guitar Rig (or any amp modeller) is a serious CPU hog. It is typically recommended to print the effect to track when using any amp modelling software, even with a powerful processor, and especially if you need it on multiple tracks.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 07-27-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Just a note; Guitar Rig (or any amp modeller) is a serious CPU hog. It is typically recommended to print the effect to track when using any amp modelling software, even with a powerful processor, and especially if you need it on multiple tracks.
SpkGuitar, Can you elaborate a bit when you say "It's typically recommended to PRINT the effect to track when using any amp modeling software" I'm running the newest version of Amplitube and I know it's definately a CPU hog. Thanks in advance, RichC
Old 07-27-2007, 03:28 PM

"Printing the effect to track" just means to record the output of the effect.

Here's my typical method for using amp simulators, maybe you will find it useful. My personal preference is Amplitube, so I use that in my description. If you use a different sim, just replace your sim where I mention Amplitube as the same procedure applies;
  • Create two audio tracks
  • label one Guitar DI, and label the other Guitar Print (labeling is at your discretion, just make sure you can tell the two tracks apart, and that they are somehow linked to each other name-wise).
  • set the input of the track labeled Guitar DI to the input where you have your guitar plugged in
  • set the output of the track labeled Guitar DI to an available bus
  • set the input of the track labeled Guitar Print to be the same bus
  • Insert Amplitube on the Guitar DI track
  • record arm both tracks
  • record your parts
  • disable and hide the track labeled Guitar DI
Now you have an audio track with the printed output from amplitube, and you still have the original DI from the guitar. If you ever want to change the tone, you activate the Guitar DI track, change the tone, record arm only the Guitar Print track, and press record. Then deactivate the DI track again, and you're all set. When the DI tracks are deactivated, so are the amplitube plugins on them, so they use no CPU, and you still have the printed tracks as audio tracks in the session.

Keep in mind that when using this method, you must be in record mode to monitor your input, and you must be in the proper monitoring mode (Input Only) if you want to monitor the incoming signal continuously.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:58 PM

While i am not quite sure of your needs or what your setup(in/ out.)is.. I will offer the following.

If your max # of inputs is no more than 8... you will NOT need a core 2 quad.
Most PRO STUDIOS will not need a core 2 quad. This will be a waste of money.

For most HOME studios a core duo is overkill.

Even for a stuio with 8 inputs recording at once a simple pentium 4 HT is MORE than sufficiant.

While I would not presume to tell you how to spend your hard earned money....
The simple fact is that a P4 w/ a good mother board is more than the average HOME studio will EVER need.

If I could give you some reasonable advice it would be...

1. P4 HT above 3ghz $85.00 U.S. dollar
2. Asus MB capable of at least 800 mhz fsb. $75- $100.00(memory is also important. ram.)
3. 2 good 7200 rpm hd. $100.00

A rig like this will record at least 8 trk.( Expect to record 16 tracks at once if you have the capability. Most people dont.)
It WILL be able to playback at least 16 tracks with a plug in on the majority.(Depending on the plug in.)

Probably MUCH more.

The newest fad is overkill on the CPU. This is fine if you are tracking 16-24 tracks at once. Or if you have money to burn.
Most HOME studios will NEVER come close to this kind of tracking. Period.

Again, I am not telling you what or how to do anything.
Just keep in mind that there are lots of ways for a home studio to be built.

The extra money saved can buy high speed ram, video card and anything else you may want.

Best wishes.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:11 AM

yeah great idea, follow mcgirr's advice and your system may not run at all on the next pt update. always get more than you need for a recording computer or its obsolete tomorrow!!!
Old 07-28-2007, 11:31 AM

Thanks again SPKGUITAR. It's great having someone with the extensive knowledge you have on this board. Take care