Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 06-09-2021, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Anyone running 2021 on old cheesegraters?

Hey Digiot,

>>>> I also have an 2009 MacPro running Protools10HD with a HDAcell2. <<<<

Bit of a tangent here, but out of interest, do you use the "voice stealing" workflow at all? Where you can assign the same voice to more than one track and use "Mute Frees Assigned Voice" to auto-takeover on tracks higher up on the screen??

Sorry all for going off topic for a sec.

Steve Bush
Old 06-09-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpig View Post
Hey Digiot,

>>>> I also have an 2009 MacPro running Protools10HD with a HDAcell2. <<<<

Bit of a tangent here, but out of interest, do you use the "voice stealing" workflow at all? Where you can assign the same voice to more than one track and use "Mute Frees Assigned Voice" to auto-takeover on tracks higher up on the screen??

Sorry all for going off topic for a sec.

Steve Bush
Ha, as I mentioned I use that particular rig just to track live drums, up to 24 mic's on the drums with 2 or 3 stereo stems and a click to play along with. I never even get close to running out of voices.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:05 PM

Hey Digiot,

Thanks for the reply.

>>>> I never even get close to running out of voices <<<<

Yes, of course, understood. For me it's all about the awesome workflow method the voice stealing allows, and as I don't get to hang out in studios with other producers and PT operators much anymore these days, I often take the opportunity to ask other TDM users if they use this process.

Here's a very rough video of what's so amazing for me with the way the TDM systems could be run:

https://youtu.be/O9na6N7WQD8

I have an unused HDX system sitting on the shelf that I can't use due to abandoning assignable voices. This is a thread from when the news about this abandonment first broke, and my conversations with Paul V from Avid engineering about replacing this (as he calls it) "drop through" behaviour.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=316448

They never managed to achieve this substitution, certainly not with playlists.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Cheers.

Steve Bush
Old 06-09-2021, 09:58 PM

I did voice stealing with MIX era systems, but didn't need it anymore with HD
Old 06-10-2021, 01:53 AM

Hey Janne,

Yeah, it's nothing to do with running out of voices as such for me. As Paul V from Avid engineering explains in the thread link above (and if you're a fully paid up OG like me-Sound Designer 1988-you'll remember those days), the "auto sharing" of voices was to circumvent hardware limitations.

It turned out to be a real blessing in disguise. If you get a second, take a look at my video also linked above. This is just the tip of the iceberg as to why this workflow is SO awesome for overdubbing, especially when you're constructing parts and need to keep options on screen, accessable and replaceable at any moment.

With 100% certainty, everyone I've shown this method to (mind you, I don't have many friends ), adopts it.

Cheers.

Steve
Old 06-10-2021, 03:09 PM

I'm running a 5.1 Mac Pro with HD native in Mojave with no issues other than right now my Artist Control and Mix aren't working or being seen by EUControl.
I hope I can squeeze another couple years out of this machine. Its been a work horse and to replace it with all the upgrades I've done would equate to an $18,000 new Mac pro. And that ain't happening
Old 06-10-2021, 03:52 PM

5,1 12 core Mojave
Metal Vid 580, SSD Boot Spin Long Term
PT’s U HDX1
Old 06-10-2021, 06:51 PM

I'm brand-spanking new to PT 2021 on a 2009 Mac Pro flashed to 5,1 with an HDX card, on Mojave 1TB SSD. Migrating from HD2 Accel on another 2009 Mac Pro, which I have used for years and has been extremely solid and faithful. But got sick of being told my OS and PT version was no longer supported, and running out of voices and Delay Compensation. Also the sense that there was an overall PT Mixer sonic upgrade to be had. Next step after verifying this rig works will be to move my UAD Octo card over. So here I am...

I am literally just installing Pro Tools, and just the base Avid plugins, and taking it for a test spin. Couple audio tracks, looking at new plugins. So far, pretty cool. I have a couple questions right away, and I'm sure I'll have many more...

1. I have a single instance of Boom right now (on an Aux track, not as an Instrument) with a basic beat I am playing along to, couple MIDI tracks I put down. When Playback is running, if I add certain plugins - it doesn't happen with all of them - the MIDI playback will completely stop for 1-3 seconds, and it's like it's buffering all the notes it missed, and when it recovers it plays them all back at once, at Vol = 127. It peaks the Master Fader. it's loud, and pretty darn annoying. And yet there are many plugins, when I add them during Playback everything keeps playing without the slightest hiccup. Anyone else get this? Any ideas?

2. When I go to set outputs I see all the surround options, which I don't need. In the "old days" I would just remove the Surround Mixer, but I don't see such a thing anymore. Any setting I can change to De-Surround my sessions?

3. At the top of this thread someone mentioned "all the known issues" with Mojave and cheesegraters. As a brand new user, I'd love to know what those are rather than find out painfully on my own!

Thanks a lot!!
Old 06-10-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerbooty View Post

3. At the top of this thread someone mentioned "all the known issues" with Mojave and cheesegraters. As a brand new user, I'd love to know what those are rather than find out painfully on my own!

Thanks a lot!!
The issues I meant were not specific to either Mojave or the cheesegraters, but rather to the 2021.3 release. The big one is that the Tab-To-Transient function is not working as “accurately” as it has previously.

And for the Surround outputs, you need to choose “Stereo” as the output config when you make a new session

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 06-11-2021, 07:02 AM

Right! This is part of what makes me nervous about joining the land of the Pro Tools subscription model, the worry that as they introduce new features they will break old ones...

Right out of the gate this "buffering" and then "exploding" of MIDI data during the pause as you add certain plugins during playback is pretty annoying. Don't recall this ever happening on PT 10HD. But I am kind of still conditioned from the MIX days to stop playback when I add plugins, which is what I mostly do...