Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 07-26-2013, 06:05 PM

Default Is the Artist Mix/Control/Transport worth it?

Particularly for use with Protools HD8?

This morning I just narrowly missed out on a cracking deal for a pro control plus edit pack ($831!!)... prior to stumbling upon the sale I hadn't really considered a control surface for my studio other than the occasional glance and thinking "it would be nice... but I could buy another really nice compressor for that much...".

Naturally, I am now hooked on the idea of a nice control surface to use with HD8. I don't think the artist series can compare with a pro control plus edit pack in terms of features (the pro control is about 10 times bigger)...

...but is the artist series still worthwhile? HD8 I think is the first version of protools HD that supported the artist series. Is the support well integrated? Or am I just going to spend a lot of money on a control surface that will only do what a mackie HUI or similar will do as well?

My main concern is, after flicking through so many pages of troubles and woes in this part of the forum about the artist series, that my money is better spent elsewhere... particularly given how early the implementation is with HD8.

*I realise that HD8 is older software. I have no intention of upgrading anytime soon though.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Is the Artist Mix/Control/Transport worth it?

How will you use it?

The strength of the Artist Series gets obvious first when you use it in a context with FCPX, Logic... - for short, together with other video and sound softwares.

If you only do PT all the time, I would consider other options.

Transport + 2 MC Mix made my workflow in PT really faster, but the Control I didn't start to really use until I started with Video in Final Cut... So, that raises the second question - do you want speed over control or control over speed?

Integrate the Ipad in the equation and you have a new type of Control surface, that I don't view as a traditional Mixer and don't expect that kind of overview.

I've had it for a while now and I don't expect it to do things it doesn't do well - but what it does, no other unit out there does...
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 07-27-2013, 01:42 AM

I disagree that its main strength is multi app support. As a PT only mixer with a highly integrated ICON background Im looking for advanced features and speed of operation.
EUCON 2 put many HD automation features on the soft keys on the mc control that were prevously only available on an ICON and that are not accessible on a C24. Eucon 3 made my control rig more stable on mac and hopefully will speed up development of the features we are all craving.
Id much prefer an artist rig over a c24 (or pro control for that matter) for that reason, although I miss being able to throw it into VCA/master mode for larger film mixes.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:45 AM

Thanks for the reply...

It seems odd that control surfaces made by Avid aren't suited to software made by avid better than anything else.

My many use for them is simply to get away from using the mouse. The idea of 2x Mix and a transport sounds pretty decent to me!

Out of curiosity, when you access plugin parameters by the 8 rotary encoders... if you have 2x mix in a system, will the plugin parameters then spread over the full 16 rotary encoders?
Old 07-27-2013, 03:55 AM

Keep in mind that you won't be able to use a Pro Control (or a Control 24) on PT 11 (or later versions)...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 07-27-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Keep in mind that you won't be able to use a Pro Control (or a Control 24) on PT 11 (or later versions)...
Sounds like the perfect fit for the rest of my system!
Old 07-27-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketCase View Post
... if you have 2x mix in a system, will the plugin parameters then spread over the full 16 rotary encoders?
Normally they will and further more you can flip them on the faders instead as well!
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 07-27-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
Normally they will and further more you can flip them on the faders instead as well!
Thanks GW!

When you say "normally", is it plugin dependent or just a little glitchy? I take it all of the parameters accessible via the OLED display/rotary encoders will span the full 16 channels of a 2xMix setup - plugin selection, sends, etc. Nifty stuff!

I am starting to like the idea of 2xMix and a transport. I probably should have started by watching the videos! Very informative. The aspects I am specifically chasing are just mix orientated really... levels, pans, plugin & send control... I don't really need the functionality of the procontrol edit pack. It was just part of the sale!

Now the big question is! Will I get what I expect running 2x Mix and 1x transport with HD8?