Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 06-24-2022, 05:19 AM

Default Re: What am I missing? I expected better.

Test by spreading the 7 channels of opus to 1 instrument channel per track. Another easy test is Spitfire LABS which are free. In kontakt it is a work flow to build 16 instruments in one instance of kontakt then use midi tracks to work with it. Testing in kontakt a lot of folks have used separate instrument tracks per instrument. EW Play may do better broken out.
PT 2022.12 studio, Cubase 12 Pro, 12 Core Mac Pro 6,1 96GB OS X 12.6.6, Mac Mini i7 QC 16GB, Digico Soundgrid DLI, Revive Audio 96IO & 192 DBox & 2BussLT for summing, Waves, SoundToys and a pile of other plugins. NI Maschine/Komplete Ultimate 12 and many many, too many Kontakt Libraries.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmT..._as=subscriber

Last edited by LoudBassTone; 06-24-2022 at 05:23 AM. Reason: can’t type
Old 06-24-2022, 12:25 PM

Yeah, I didn't think Melodyne was the primary suspect. I think it's Opus and of course Neutron.
Old 06-24-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogamble View Post
There's a limit to how many samples any given PT track can compensate. This is a limitation of the software. That delay limit doesn't scale with computer power, so sadly all PT users on all systems need to work within this.
Interesting, I didn't suspect this.
Old 06-24-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Why would you assume that?
. I just figured since the M1 Ultra can process 22 trillion operations per second vs. my old Intel MacMini at 12,596M operations per second ProTools would be able to get things done faster hence less delay.
Old 06-24-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Your assumption is wrong.

The latency induced by the plugin will always be the same. It has nothing to do with the DAW. It is how the plugin is coded.

As pointed out, the only limitation Pro Tools is applying is the max amount of samples it will compensate for. But even if it’s under the limit, the delay compensation engine is only putting all your tracks in sync on playback. It’s never going to fix tracking latency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, this is what I'm learning. I didn't know this.
Old 06-24-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
That's a good point, and I sure think iZotope makes some great stuff and RX is amazing. But if the OP is laying Neutron mixer into mixes, they may want to slow down.
I had two instances of Neutron 4, one of my vocal bus and the other on my keyboard bus which uses Opus (w/7 channels). I wanted to try out the new unmaking feature in Neutron 4. I've since gone back to my old stand-by, ProQ-3 which I really like and use all the time.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
But if the OP is laying Neutron mixer into mixes,...
I had two instances of Neutron 4, one of my vocal bus and the other on my keyboard bus which uses Opus (w/7 channels). I wanted to experiment with the new unmaking feature in Neutron 4 and the AI. I've since gone back to my old masking stand-by, ProQ-3 which I really like and use all the time.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphaeld View Post
ProQ-3
I had assumed you were doing limiting with aggressive look ahead, ProQ-3 is interesting in that it can also be a trap for players, a very nice but complex EQ with linear phase modes that can introduce quite significant latency.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudBassTone View Post
Test by spreading the 7 channels of opus to 1 instrument channel per track.
Great suggestion. It alleviated some of the problem. I now have 7-8 channels of virtual instruments with no issues anymore. Multiple instances of Opus with one channel on instrument tracks is the way to go.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphaeld View Post
Yeah, I didn't think Melodyne was the primary suspect. I think it's Opus and of course Neutron.
As much as I like Neutron it had to go. It was contributing to the problem. It wasn’t all it’s fault; how I designed my signal flow was a contributor but removing it improved the situation.