Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2011, 01:30 PM

Default Weird Noise Through Speaker...

Hey there,

I've tried quite a couple troubleshooting tips, but to no avail. I even did the entire page of requirements for Pro Tools in the "Help us Help you" page so it runs properly with my system which I must say runs way better, but did not fix my problem.

I just recently re-installed Pro Tools on my laptop and everything seemed to be working fine until I play music or anykind of audio. It's a horrible distortion noise mixed with an off-tune phaser...ugly noise. The noise also sounds like a slowmotion sound as if the music slows down and will do this while the popping and crackling occurs.

Next, I thought my speakers were blown because my system sat for about four months with no usage, but then I realized that it's intermittent and the speakers sound great, so I ruled that out. Whenever I use youtube I notice it goes away, then comes back, but sounds way better than when using PT or Window Media. When I use my speakers in Youtube all the distortion goes away and is the only audio file where the noise is at it's minimum compared to the other apps. Also, when their is no noise of anykind you can hear poppin or crackin while the clarity is clean which I've never experienced before while PT is in session.

I dont know where all these new noises came for my system is but two years old and I'm a solo rapper/recording engineer, the speakers haven't got that much abuse.

Finally, I configured the latency in PT, but still no go, I even re-installed the audio drives,updated my audio drivers, highered the Buffer-Lowered it, same with CPU usage and all the other elements on that page with no success.

If someone could help me out would be great. Thanks.

System:

Laptop
HP Presario CQ50
Windows Vista SP 2
Pro Tools 8.0.5 m-powered
AKG perception 120 condensor mic
USB M-Audio Fast Track Pro interface
Bx5a M-Audio Monitors
Presonus Tube Preamp (Only one input and one output)
AMD athlon dual core
2.00 Ram
32 bit op
2.00GH
(C:) 64.1 GB free of 139GB
(D:)1.22GB free of 9.87GB
External 2TB external hard drive (SeaGate), but not currently connected or has been used in a while.

Last edited by VTI; 08-28-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: more information
Old 08-31-2011, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Weird Noise Through Speaker...

Hey there,

Could somebody give some type of information on this?? I dont mean to reply to my own threads, but I really need assistance and can't afford to pay for a ticket to fix someting I can do. If theres not enough information please let me know what else I could provide.

Help!!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Weird Noise Through Speaker...

Does you hear it when you move the mouse or when the hard drive spins? I had that issue and it turned out to be a grounding problem. The ideal way to fix it is to work out grounding issues, but this can be a pain and expensive. If you have a simple setup, try using ground lifts on your powered speakers. It solved the issue for me. It's not recommended because you could get a shock without proper ground, but I have yet to have an issue. And I have an extremely low noise floor.
M-Audio Firewire 410 via Digi-Qualified SIIG FireWire 2-Port ExpressCard {NN-EC2012-S1}
Glyph 050Q 500GB via eSATA