Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2011, 01:33 PM

Default Locking up with MOTU traveler generator?

Hi guys,
Looking at a microbudget film shoot and trying to get LTC onto everything.
DSLRs have no sound IO to speak of and rubbish mics so this is the split system proposal. I need to test this before we set out but thought Id post here to see if anyone had tried any components of this?

PT9 with MOTU Traveller
Run the MOTU LTC generator SW - output LTC from the traveller to the minijack audio inputs on the DSLRs
Concurrently run PT9
Record onto PT9 CPTK2 as a split system locking to Midi TC converted from the LTC feed software.

The main concern is that PT9 will grab the whole MOTU box and wont allow me to use two outputs for LTC audio out from the little MOTU timecode app.
http://www.motu.com/products/motuaud...mk3/clock.html

Ive hunted around the various forums and it looks like PT9 will work with the traveler no probs, and will also lock up to MTC from the generator app.
Main worry is not being able to spit out 2 or 3 feeds of timecode audio to run to the cameras.

Also - locking to MTC for recording, will the timecode timestamping on the mono wavs created by PT9 be within tolerance with the LTC audio being fed to the cameras for syncing in media composer? (using read audio timecode feature to sync the DSLR footage)

Anyone tried anything like this?
I love this new world of DSLRs. 5 years ago if you turned up on location with a DAT that couldn't lock to timecode you'd be told to go home. Now the DSLR DOPs rock up and I'd like to do the same...!