Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 02-03-2023, 02:12 PM

Default Preferences settings

Hey all. If I receive a session from a client and load it up, do my preferences, like auto backup, copy files on import, etc., remain the same on my computer or do they change to the settings in the session I received?
Old 02-03-2023, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Preferences settings

Preferences are local to your computer (and user on that computer). They are not stored in the session. You should have no reason to change anything in your preferences because you are opening a new/different session. And Preference changes you make on your computer don't go into the session and back to the artist if you return a session to them.

Preferences are entirely stored in the preference files you trash when troubleshooting, you can store/backup them if needed while troubleshooting. Pete Gates' PT Prefs app on Mac makes that really easy.
Old 02-03-2023, 02:26 PM

Thanks. Yeah I did it again...asked this question and immediately found the answer online. lol
But I appreciate the quick response.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Preferences are local to your computer (and user on that computer). They are not stored in the session...
In Avid's terminology: Some prefs are Local (i.e. saved with session - like coalesce on trim exit, default track/clip coloring, back/forward amount) and others are Global (not saved with the session - like metering, crossfade behaviors, etc) - there's a comprehensive list in the "Preferences" section of the reference guide.

Some of the Local ones are really important to many of us, so that when we receive sessions from outside we need to go through all these prefs to make sure they're set to our workflow. Personally I use Soundflow's "Pro Tools Preference Manager" to set them every time I sit down to start a mix.

I believe that "Copy Files On Import" and Auto-Backup behavior are both Global and will not change with individual sessions.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6

Last edited by Rich Breen; 02-04-2023 at 09:04 AM.