Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-24-2008, 11:32 AM

Default solo aux channel?

Up to this point, I've been using mix groups for all of my solo'ing (i.e. listen to the drum parts only). After using other DAWs I found that if I solo a group, or aux channel in their environments, i hear everything that is routed to that aux. Never really thought twice about it.

But recently a client wanted me to track in PT at their studio (i usually do this in nuendo), and I wanted to solo the Harmony A and Harmony B Stem mixes, to locate a problem. Being used to my nuendo tracking environment I reached to solo on the aux and noticed that channels routed to it are muted, but I wanted to hear everything that was routed to it. Can PT do this without me having to select the mix group then solo?

Basically solo'ing a stem mix by clicking... solo?
Old 04-24-2008, 12:08 PM

Default Re: solo aux channel?

PT follows standard Solo In Place behavior. If you solo any track/aux it will mute all channels that are not "Solo Safed" by command clicking the solo button. You can solo safe the aux master and then solo the members and hear them through the master that is "safed".

Or use VCA groups. Then you can solo the vox by soloing the VCA Group.

Thirdly, is to setup PT to use AFL/PFL like a console (this requires extra I/O and works best with an ICON controller) This would allow you to solo the Aux Master and since it's using the dedicated solo bus you've setup in the I/O Setup Window, your other tracks aren't muted.

All this is exactly like a console acts.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:11 PM

Like Drew says, VCA's can offer what you want. VCA's offer additional benefits, like record arming groups of tracks. VCA tracks really changed my workflow once they appeared, in 7.2 I think it was. Consider giving VCA tracks a try.

Good luck,

John-
Old 04-24-2008, 07:14 PM

Thanks Mount Royal and damazurek, that simplified things, not quite what I was looking for, but way better than what I've been doing, I can see where it helps those OTB more so than ITB. I will incorporate this into my workflow nonetheless. I have been in other DAWs since 7, using PT for mixing only, but trying to get back into the swing of things, didn't know that they added this (its in the 7.2 "whats new" - i've been looking at the 7.4 "whats new"). Once again, thanks for the responses...
Old 04-24-2008, 08:13 PM

Couldn't you just "Solo Safe" all the tracks that are being bussed to that aux?

Then you could just solo the Aux and hear it perfectly.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:20 AM

I could, and have, but the VCA is closer to what I want. I know there are different workflows, but this operation should be as simple as a click on the solo on an AUX. I shouldn't have to solo safe, then click solo on the aux to hear it.

Intersting, But what happens when I solo safe on the channels, and I've found my problem on one of the channels routed to the aux, and I want to solo it through the aux, won't the aux be muted if I do this? So I would have to solo safe the aux, then solo the channel? Too many steps for a simple operation.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Couldn't you just "Solo Safe" all the tracks that are being bussed to that aux?

Then you could just solo the Aux and hear it perfectly.
But then your sends would still be active and if you've got any effects going you'll hear the wet sound only when soling other tracks.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.